Baptism of fire...

#david2012
#david2012 Posts: 275
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Just purchased a 2013 model defy 1 lovely bike, been riding since may and always alone.
Today a friend (experienced rider) offered to take me out for an 'easy 20+ miler'
Been working all day and desperate to get home... Got changed and opened the door and it started to rain!
So off I went on my first ride with someone else couldn't wait to measure myself with my new bike......

It soon became apparent although I kept up he wasn't really pushing me which meant that the route he chose took a little longer than he hoped, it meant tackling the worst of 3 hills to shortcut home. I attacked it way to early trying to keep up and decided to stop half way to catch my breath. The incline was so steep I just couldn't get any momentum when i got back on the saddle and proceeded to fall off, right knee taking all the force of the fall :( new bike well and truly christened! Soaked and damaged from the fall :(:( pride dented in front of my experienced friend I just got back on and blasted up the remainder of the hill. But by now the light was fading fast with 8 odd miles to go we and had to ride the last 3 miles in the dark! ( no lights .. Nothing) get home gutted about the fall put the bike up on the wall hanger and start to wipe down and the bloody bracket comes off the wall and the bike lands on top of me!!! Managed to stop it crashing to earth with my right wrist / forearm causing more blood and bruising...

So my new purchase has well and truly been christened I think... And an eventful evening.
But I've wiped everything down, cleaned up the blood and looking forward to next time :D

Comments

• hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    We've all been there. I once trashed a brand new Campy derailleur by dropping the bike before I'd even ridden the thing.

Don't forget the scars maketh the man (& the bike).
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    that is one hell of a ride and id be gutted damaging my new bike,but its done now and a great tale to tell so just kep going and ride more and one day you will keep up with your mate.
    good luck
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Thank you both. It hasn't put me off and I'm sure I will learn from my mistakes... Just hope the gashed knee doesn't take too long to heal :)
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Nah, it'll be fine, clean it, apply Rule no.5 and carry on :twisted:

You'll improve quickly.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Always plan that you will be at least 30-45 mins more on a ride than you think. This will allow for punctures, minor mechanicals and anything else unforeseen. Then, look at a site like the following and work out whether you will need lights, anything near 'set/dusk' means "yes": http://www.sunrisesunsetmap.com/. Bear in mind that when it starts getting dark, the p@ncture fairy can still strike... and trying to fix one in near dark is bloody tricky so just sticking a small light/torch in your pocket can be a good thing.

I still get caught out every now and then though :)
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Also get new 'friends'
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Also get new 'friends'

Ha ha I like it... Just feel more determined now to improve
  • greentea
    greentea Posts: 180
    Excellent post.

Tell me more about the crash, i was chuckling my nuts off :twisted: