Rear light with wider brightness angle for saddlebag?

schemieradge
schemieradge Posts: 36
edited November 2012 in Commuting general
Sorry for another rear light question.

I wanted to ask something a bit more specific. I have my Smart 1/2 watt light mounted on the loop on a Carradice Super C saddlebag (it would be obscured by the bag if mounted on the seat post).
My concern is that it often sags down a bit and points the light towards the ground. I know LED lights are pretty focused so I suspect I'm zapping most of that 1/2 watt into the ground.

Can anyone recommend a read light with which this wouldn't matter so much, that has a wider viewing angle so to speak?

Comments

• Actually, after some more reading I see Smart 1/2 watts will mount on the seat stays.. I totally never thought of that.
    Maybe 2 x Smarts on the seat stays would be a good solution then (two so they won't get obscured by the wheel at some angles)
  • That's what I do - one Cateye on each seat stay.
  • I got anotherSmart 1/2 watt and put it on the seat post.. but evidently I'm still almost completely invisible judging by the way I'm having cars regularly attempt to splat me.

Was looking at this: CATEYE TL-LD1100 LED REAR LIGHT.. seems to tick some of the boxes with better visibility angles.. anyone use one?
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    I got anotherSmart 1/2 watt and put it on the seat post.. but evidently I'm still almost completely invisible judging by the way I'm having cars regularly attempt to splat me.

Was looking at this: CATEYE TL-LD1100 LED REAR LIGHT.. seems to tick some of the boxes with better visibility angles.. anyone use one?

Cateye TL-LD1100s are good for mounting on the back of pannier racks as the bolt straight onto most. Mrs Cookdn has one on her Topeak rack.

+1 for Smart LED mounted to the seatstay if you are not running with panniers. I bought one of the newer Smart R2s specifically for this (I have a second light attached to my seatbag).

20121103_171951.jpg20121103_172131.jpg

Really no excuse for a rear approaching vehicle not to spot you.

Best regards
    David
    Boardman CX Team
  • I had a similar problem with my saddlebag obstructing part of my rear light , I bought a Tool Flask & Cage from Decathlon and did away with the saddle bag. Much better now :)

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/tool-transport-flask-id_8123841.html
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/bottle-holder-5-black-id_8157313.html

Also bought two of these rear lights too, very bright and USB chargable which is ideal for charging off the pc at work
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/vioo-usb-back-black-id_8224154.html
  • Good idea that transport flask actually.. but I think I'd miss my saddlebag too much (especially transporting weekend beers back from the offie).
    I found a small 3 LED light in a cupboard so going to try attaching that to my helmet making a total of 3 rear lights - surely that'll do it!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Blackburn Mars 3.0 has leds on the side and a belt clip arrangement too.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I've got two Smart R1's on the drive side seat stay and another on the Saddle bag. Yes, the saddle bag light does tend to droop a bit but it's still visible from the rear and sides and is a light more at eye level.
    I don't seem to have a problem with traffic from the rear but the front is a different matter - Hope Vision 1 (ok on low setting) and bright flashing chinese LED are clearly not sufficient. I intend to get a second Hope and run one of them at full whack, though not pointing directly at traffic.
  • this is what I use at the moment

along with this too

Works really well for me!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    cookdn wrote:
    I got anotherSmart 1/2 watt and put it on the seat post.. but evidently I'm still almost completely invisible judging by the way I'm having cars regularly attempt to splat me.

Cateye TL-LD1100s are good for mounting on the back of pannier racks as the bolt straight onto most. Mrs Cookdn has one on her Topeak rack.

+1 for Smart LED mounted to the seatstay if you are not running with panniers. I bought one of the newer Smart R2s specifically for this (I have a second light attached to my seatbag).

20121103_171951.jpg20121103_172131.jpg

Really no excuse for a rear approaching vehicle not to spot you.

Best regards
    David
    +1 on the Cateye 1100