Football shirts

oneimaginaryboy
oneimaginaryboy Posts: 16
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Does anyone know whether football shirts make effective base layers?

Comments

• lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Wouldn't they be too loose?

I confess to knowing very little about football but base layers are usually fairly figure hugging, presumably to help wick sweat away more effectively but footballers don't usually wear anything over their jersey so that would be less of a factor for them.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    probably be too thick as well.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    giant man wrote:
    probably be too thick as well.

The players or the shirts ?
    :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    If you want to use a football shirt as a base layer would suggest the Spurs one as it is a little more tailored than most and should be a better fit.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Considering there has been a trend towards football players themselves wearing baselayers under their shirts, I think the OP would be after the Under Armour type nearly everyone seems to wear on a football pitch when its cold.
  • simonhead wrote:
    If you want to use a football shirt as a base layer would suggest the Spurs one as it is a little more tailored than most and should be a better fit.

Yeah but you won't win anything in a Spurs shirt.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Best to wear Spurs shirts at the end of the season. But only on downhill sections, after all they do seem to be quickest descenders....
  • Dellsinho
    Dellsinho Posts: 100
    Best to wear Spurs shirts at the end of the season. But only on downhill sections, after all they do seem to be quickest descenders....

There has to be a Bale/bail on a descent joke in there somewhere but my midweek lull is affecting my creativity.
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510

Are you completely broke?
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • southdownswolf
    pride4ever wrote:

I think that in the beginners section, it is a fair question to ask if the shirts would be any good. I used a lot of running clothes before buying cycling clothes as they were fairly similar. The more I have got into cycling, the more I have justified spending on specific clothing. I still use my running "tights" over the top of bib shorts when it's cold.
  • southdownswolf
    To the OP, just out of curiosity, are you a fan of The Cure with the name oneimaginaryboy?
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    pride4ever wrote:

I think that in the beginners section, it is a fair question to ask if the shirts would be any good. I used a lot of running clothes before buying cycling clothes as they were fairly similar. The more I have got into cycling, the more I have justified spending on specific clothing. I still use my running "tights" over the top of bib shorts when it's cold.

Sports direct are basically giving away baselayers at their stores, get yersen off now.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • simonhead wrote:

it also makes an excellent replacement for bog roll.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    tsk bloody football ...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    pride4ever wrote:

I love it when people say what I am thinking but that I felt was a little too rude to say :D
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Blacks are doing great deals on their baselayers at the moment. £7.50 for the non-compression (still close fitting) one, £15 for the compression one.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Why do you want a baselayer?

It's April.

Shorts and s/s jerseys next month.
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Maybe this is what you're looking for

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=3188
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    good deals on Reading FC shirts at the moment...
  • Navrig wrote:
    Why do you want a baselayer?

It's April.

Shorts and s/s jerseys next month.

thats a true scotsman right there, theres still snow lying in east lothian as we type and the suggestion is for short sleeves, lol mate im just along the road from you and i wont be short sleeving it unless im in my house :D
  • Thanks for the replies.

I do like the Cure.

I am not broke just yet: though nice to see a couple of sneery posts enquiring as to my financial wellbeing. If i was broke I'm sure they'd have made me feel good about myself.

To the person commenting on it being April, the original post was made in October.

The reason for the post was that i picked up a cheap Blackburn Rovers top and thought it might work as a base layer given the fancy hi-tec material/wicking properties detailed on the label.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It probably would make a passable baselayer. FWIW before I could afford much cycling specific stuff I used to ride my old MTB with slick tyres while wearing HiTech trainers, Ron Hill Bikesters and an old Aston Villa goalie's shirt. Stylish? No. Did I care? No.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I still ride with hi tech bikesters and silver shadows but the only football shirt I've ever owned (when I was 9) was Diss Town Football Club which was a helpfully bright tangerine.