Marathon racing and MTB bike

bobgfish
bobgfish Posts: 545
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello

Can anyone offer suggestions on bike for 10 day Marathon races. I am looking at high end prices and after something that is light and reliable. At the moment only been looking at Full suspension mainly because I've only ever ridden one and never had a hardtail. I'm worried about comfort as some days it's 160Km with 3000 meters of climbing all off road.

Thanks

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    S-Works Epic, SuperFly 100, Spark RC, Anthem Advanced etc

Try a few, see what you like. Most things of that ilk are going to 29ers these days.

I've got a Top Fuel 9.9 which I love, a whisker under 20lbs depending on tyres and that. Don't make them any more though, just the 29er SuperFly.
  • I have an Anthem X Advanced SL bike. It rides beautifully and handles like a dream. I built it myself and run 120mm forks - it comes with 100mm up front as standard. Recently rode for 14 hours straight with no major issues. Make sure you use chamois creme though, I didn't and wore two small patches of skin off my arse cheeks! Nowt to do with the bike. Weight-wise you could be looking at sub 22lbs with light tyres. Mine's astound 23/24lbs with the longer forks, XTR larger pedals and depending on tyres.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    "MTB bike" that's like when people say "PIN number"

...just saying
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    and VIN number.....

Santa Cruz Tallboy is very popular for all/multi day events.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Nowt to do with the bike. Weight-wise you could be looking at sub 22lbs with light tyres. Mine's astound 23/24lbs with the longer forks, XTR larger pedals and depending on tyres.

1) double up on shorts on very long rides, finished 12 hour solos in total comfort!
    2) You'll manage a lot lighter than that if you throw enough money at it, although Anthems always seem to come in disappointingly heavy for the money.
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    I've done the race before so know how to handle the distance. In terms of comfort I just mean that the switch to a hardtail might be a step to far. I rode a 100mm FS 26er and was left behind in certain parts. I've looked at quite a few bikes and it seems that the 100mm 29er is the way to go. It used to be easy to look at a 26er and say that bike was hardcore XC only. The 29er's seem to be putting in an overlap between XC yet remain very versatile as well. Bikes I've looked at and brief comments (only ridden some). These are for the top of the range models

Cube AMS 100 - cheap and very light
    Specialized Epic - Nice kit and average price with average weight.
    Trek Superfly 100 - expensive, not many reviews for new frame
    Cannondale Scapel - Very light but easily the most expensive and less flexible.
    BMC Fourstroke -Light and expensive but looks amazing

As you step done the range of models from each manufacturer the weight goes up quite quickly and you have to make big compromises. Wonder what I'm missing as I see it a struggle to hit 10Kg without spending a fortune. Any other bike to look at? (Not see a Giant dealer locally)