New member, new bars.

Starko
Starko Posts: 4
edited October 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone,
New member here. My name is Greg and I'm 24 years old.
I am not totally new to bikes, I use to ride a bit when I was younger and have recently got the bug again.
I have just purchased a Specialized Camber 2013 and plan on riding it at places like Afan and Swinley (as they are the only places I know. Suggestions please?).
The Camber seems to be a good, solid bike and even the default spring loaded forks are pretty decent. But first thing I noticed I didn't like about the Camber were the bars, they are dead straight! Does anyone have any suggestions to which bars might be better?
Many thanks,
Greg Starkins.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Work out where you want your hands and look accordingly
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The shape of teh bars is pretty irrelevant as long as your hand are in the right place, I believe all '13 cambers are 29ers, this puts the front end higher so most bikes have flat bars to keep the control area of the bike are a sensible height, riser bars that would be common on a 26er will leave you sitting up like a continental on his way to work.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    When you say straight, do you mean flat? Or are they actually 100% straight (ie no backsweep?) Because that'd be weird.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Starko
    Thanks for your replies guys.
    I probably should have mentioned before that the bars are as followed:
    Specialized XC Mini-Riser, 6061 butted alloy, 720mm wide, 10mm rise, 4-degree backsweep, 5-degree upsweep, 31.8mm.
    I am not sure what everything there means, but I like a sort of downhill bar. Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks,
    Greg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most DH bars these days are very near flat though! The Exotic Scandium High Riser is a decent bar, 50mm rise.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    6061 refers to the alloying agents in the aluminium, 720mm wide is self explanatory, 4 degree means the tips are further back than the centre, 5 degree upsweep again means the tips are above the inner end of the control area.

As stated, shape of bars is irrelevant, it's where it puts the grips relative to the saddle and BB that matters, liking a particular shape of bar is the wrong decision making process! You pick the bars to put the grips in the right place!

The side on view
    http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... ain%20Bike
    Shows they grips are already quite high relative to the saddle so raising them further may not be for the best!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    supersonic wrote:
    Most DH bars these days are very near flat though!

Not really, you get flat DH bars just like you get flat XC bars. Standard for DH in my eyes is 20mm, that's what some manufacturers sell their bars in if they are only available in one rise, Easton and Enve spring to mind.
  • Starko
    Thanks for all the information everyone.
    After going out on a small, local ride, I have decided I would definitely be more comfortable with a small rise.
    I will have a look at the bars suggested by supersonic and speak to the people in the shop where I bought. I post what I decide to do.
    Once again, thanks for all the help and information everyone.
  • phildaw
    phildaw Posts: 49
    Hi Starko.. nice bike... I think it is the 4degree backsweep causing you issues, not the rise.. I changed the bars on my Specialized Pitch Pro for exactly the same reason.

I can cope with wide bars, but a lack of backsweep really irrirates me. I changed to some Nukeproof ones with a 9degree backsweep and even though they are 40mm wider I find them a lot more comfortable.