Cadence Sensor Probs

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
My cadence sensor isn't playing ball. When I press the reset button it turns red but not green. Swapped the battery but it made no difference. The manuals don't seem to help other than telling me it should go red then green but nothing about it just going red. Any ideas?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    My cadence sensor isn't playing ball. When I press the reset button it turns red but not green. Swapped the battery but it made no difference. The manuals don't seem to help other than telling me it should go red then green but nothing about it just going red. Any ideas?

N+1.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • meanredspider
    N+1.

A new bike? What a fab idea...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Have you checked that the magnet is close enough.
    I have a habit of catching the sensor when resting the bike against things which pushes the sensor a bit too far away from the magnet.
  • I have one (Garmin) that has just stopped working recently. Tried everything - battery, magnet positions etc. Similar symptoms. I think it's dead.

There, that wasn't very helpful was it.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I've given up with my garmin cadence sensors, they work for a couple of rides then pack up.

Meh
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    best thing you can do is take the battery out for a day and let it hard reset
  • meanredspider
    Mine have been good (until now... :roll: ). This one has woken up and recorded this morning's ride - dunno how long that will last. TBH, I'm less worried about the cadence, it's the underpass under the A9 where, without the wheelspeed sensor, I end up with a max speed of 56mph or something silly.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Mine did the same. Garmin replaced it for free. TBH though I have now removed it from my bike and didn't add on to the new bike. Just don't feel the need for cadence and the Garmin sensor is a grotesque carbuncle anyway. Does it really need to be so big?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Greg T wrote:
    I've given up with my garmin cadence sensors, they work for a couple of rides then pack up.

Meh
    Mine has been fine for about two years now. The HR sensor on the other hand...
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

Meh
    If your HR sensor is not registering, perhaps you're dead?

I have heard things about the cadence sensors. I bought one back in February for the TT bike and that's Not Quite Right. Not sure I've still got the receipt though. The older one looks completely borked - which is a shame as I was going to donate it to the boy to use on the Turbo.
  • meanredspider
    Mine might have perked up due to the rare earth magnet I've added to my pedal in place of that horrible Garmin thing (man, those rare earth magnets are powerful). Didn't seem to matter how close the Garmin one was, it refused to register it.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    notsoblue wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

Meh
    I think I'm just carrying too much electrical insulation for the signal to get through...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

Meh
    I think I'm just carrying too much electrical insulation for the signal to get through...
    whale_love_1_0.jpg?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Mine might have perked up due to the rare earth magnet I've added to my pedal in place of that horrible Garmin thing (man, those rare earth magnets are powerful). Didn't seem to matter how close the Garmin one was, it refused to register it.
    That's my default suggestion to anyone getting the cadence sensor.
    Much more powerful, reliable and discreet to boot. :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    daviesee wrote:
    That's my default suggestion to anyone getting the cadence sensor.
    Much more powerful, reliable and discreet to boot. :P

What you want is a duotrap sensor. And a new Trek to go with it.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • meanredspider

A nice SLS frame 8)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

Trade in my Master for a Trek? I fart in your general direction. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    I've never, ever had a cadence sensor working for more than a short period. I've given up on them. I must be on my 4th or 5th computer, not one kept up with the pedalling.