How far behind counts as drafting?

chrisaonabike
chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Ok, etiquette question here... having looked through this thread, I just wanted to clarify a couple of things:

I'm finding that I've got a bit faster since getting the bike a fortnight ago, and I'm catching people up a bit more. Often, passing traffic doesn't permit an overtake, and I often quite fancy a little break anyway, so I slot in about a bike length behind (ie with a gap of about a bike length). It seems a compromise between getting a little benefit and still being able to see what's ahead. I wouldn't want to be any closer anyway, since I'm not sure my speed control and general awareness is good enough yet to be safe with my front wheel just a few inches behind.

Is that close enough to be generally thought of as a bit rude?

Secondly, does drafting slow down the guy in front at all?
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Comments

• 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Drafting doesn't slow the person in front down.
    A lenght behind is quite a lot, but is enought to get some benefit. TBH it's about as close as I'd get to a rider I didn't know, but mainly because people can do unpredictable things.
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245

In fact drafting helps the rider in front with about a 5-10% reduction in effort IIRC. Something to do with cleaning up the airflow as it leaves the lead rider.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    edited November 2012
    To get the most benefit you do have to be very close (less than a wheel diameter) but as getprg points out, you do actually slightly help the lead rider. It's poor etiquette in a race being a wheelsucker and not taking your turn but not on the road. Don't crash into the back of them though, that really isn't polite.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253

No, it can actually make them faster as well, by reducing the low pressure area behind them that is trying to pull them backwards.

I don't know much about the etiquette side, but whenever I have witnessed a clash of wheels, it is more often the rear rider who comes a cropper.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    getprg wrote:
    In fact drafting helps the rider in front with about a 5-10% reduction in effort IIRC. Something to do with cleaning up the airflow as it leaves the lead rider.

No, nothing like that.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • jibberjim wrote:
    getprg wrote:
    No, nothing like that.
    ???
  • fsd61b
    fsd61b Posts: 109
    On a run this afternoon I was amazed at the effect of drafting! I managed to hook on to the back of a large tractor with a huge load of straw , I ended up going 30mph for a distance of 3 miles! the fastest I usually manage to maintain is 18 - 20 mph on the flat and an overall average speed of 16 (over 30 miles). It felt amazing.
    Just thought I'd share.
  • fsd61b wrote:
    .... the effect of drafting! I managed to hook on to the back of a large tractor ....
    I didn't think you were supposed to use an actual hook... :wink:

But yes, it is amazing. Even with a bike-length gap I can keep up at speeds I can't maintain on my own.
  • fsd61b
    fsd61b Posts: 109
    fsd61b wrote:
    .... the effect of drafting! I managed to hook on to the back of a large tractor ....
    I didn't think you were supposed to use an actual hook... :wink:

But yes, it is amazing. Even with a bike-length gap I can keep up at speeds I can't maintain on my own.

The patent Drafting Hook £6.99 from JML.... you will never be dropped again!!!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    lotus49 wrote:
    To get the most benefit you do have to be very close (less than a wheel diameter) but as getprg points out, you do actually slightly help the lead rider. It's terrible etiquette in a race being a wheelsucker and not taking your turn but not on the road. Don't crash into the back of them though, that really isn't polite.

Lol..no it isn't unless you're in a breakaway or sitting like 5 back all the time and just peeling off as soon as you get to the front...then someone will call you a cock and tell you to do one. Plenty of people never do turns on the front.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    jibberjim wrote:
    getprg wrote:
    No, nothing like that.
    ???

The team pursuit data with 4 riders in team pursuit closeness on the track (Broker et all 1999) - so closer than you would get on the open road, had the front rider saving 2-3% is all. So on a normal ride you're maybe looking at half that?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    To one of the OPs questions: I always think a bit over a bike length is enough not to count as invading someone's personal space.
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    of course it depends on what they are wearing... Some riders I'd only be happy about 1/2k behind..