Lake Como Info request

RonL
RonL Posts: 90
edited November 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hello,
Three of us are travelling with bikes to Milan in early May 2013. We are only in the area for five days so want to make the most of the riding and are currently considering whether to stay or travel around the Lake Como area. I have cycled in Italy before but always further South. Does anyone have any tips or information on accommodation ( basic but clean) any routes to ride or indeed avoid. We will likely be using tourers but if we got a good base, we might consider taking lighter road bikes. We fly into malpensa and plan to cycle to the Lake Como area although I understand you can use a train both into Molan then out towards the lakes. Also if anyone can recommend any good maps for cycling the area.
Any advice at all will be appreciated and helpful. Thanks in anticipation.
Pedaling spans generations.

Comments

• I went on holiday to here a few years ago in the same month, and discovered that the tourism season only begins in June. Most places will be open, but that's a good thing because it could be slightly cheaper as the rates will go up once everything kicks in. The accomodation rates there are a bit pricey for what they give you, there is a hostel/hotel right infront of the bus station that's about 5 minutes walk from the main square which is probably the better value compared to other hotels/b&b's but the rooms are cramped.

You can get the train directly from Milan Central Train Station to Como, expect to be crammed in though if you travel at peak times like any major city. Worth using the train to get to Como as the roads in Milan are mental!

The ferry is brilliant value to get up and down the lake if you base yourself in Como Town, think they only run until about 8 or 9pm in May though. I missed the last one back one evening and spent a night in Bellagio, not a bad place to be stranded. A visit to Villa Balbianello is worth a stop (even Darth Vadar got married there!!), plus you are literally on the border of Switzerland and Lake Lugano.

Expect it to rain if you're heading that way in May, but you can experience a few different seasons in a single day. All in all it's a great place to go.
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • RonL
    AlexMac,
    Thanks for this. The hostel info is especially welcome as is the road info from Milan. We kind of thought rain was very likely..... Just hope it's not every day ! All adds to the jigsaw. Many thanks once again. Ron.
  • RonL wrote:
    AlexMac,
    Thanks for this. The hostel info is especially welcome as is the road info from Milan. We kind of thought rain was very likely..... Just hope it's not every day ! All adds to the jigsaw. Many thanks once again. Ron.

I think the best advice is pack sun block and a rain jacket!!!! :lol:

The hostel was called inn in riva al lago (check the link below), plus there's a mini supermarket just out of the front door.

http://www.venere.com/inns/como/inn-in-riva-al-lago/?ref=1506854
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • RonL
    Looks good AlexMac, appreciate that. Thanks.
  • Had a great holiday in Limone by Lake Garda a couple of years ago. It's slightly further away than Como but has lots of great little villages around it to explore and a ferry service between most. We found a hotel on the teletext holidays website that was a package deal, hotel and flights and then we did our own thing once at the hotel. Had an amazing holiday there but sadly have never found a deal we could afford again since; although we are considering one of the many campsites around the lake for the future, we are limited to school holidays though hence the extreme prices.
  • RonL
    Thanks d87francis, your encouraging reply makes the trip more interesting to look forward too. Save hard and go back, camping is great fun, especially cycle touring.
  • I'm lucky enough to go to that area every year so I've spent a long time exploring. If you are interested there are quite a few routes plotted on bikely.com (username clueless). They are all pretty much loops of various distances from a village called Eupilio but if you want any more information I'm happy to help.
    It's a fantastic area, can't wait to go back.
  • RonL
    Leadballon, many thanks for this info. I will check the link and get back to you for further clarification.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Take lights - there are quite a few tunnels around the lakes which can be terrifying (and dangerous) in complete darkness! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD5rzrZzhgo
    Try this for food.... http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction ... bardy.html
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • Hi

I've found a new website which may help. It's http://www.cyclingabroad.co.uk which shows lots of great information on cycling friendly accommodation. It covers the Italian Alps so may be of use to you?