Best inner tubes

Davdandy
Davdandy Posts: 571
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Just wondering what everyone thinks are the best inner tubes.

I have just fitted a Continental race 28 to my rear wheel because of a recent puncture,i bought it from Halfords.As i needed it today i couldnt go anywhere else but what is regarded as the best and strongest.I know punctures are part of cycling but every little helps doesnt it.
Cannondale CAAD 8 105
Rockrider 8.1

Comments

• I wouldn't worry; if you want to prevent punctures you need puncture-resistant tyres.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Or replace your clincher wheels with tubs at vast expense and you would get hardly any punctures (but it would be a giant pain changing tyres though).
  • bontrager inners are spot on.
    MADONE 5.2
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Talking about standard inner tubes (rather than anything superlight/latex or slime-filled), as Simon Masterton says, it won't make much difference (the tyres will have more of an impact).

One warning on Conti inner tubes though - make sure you tighten the replaceable valve core on them (just nip it tight with a set of pliers). They are remarkably loose and if you use a pump with a screw on hose (like a Leyzyne Road Drive), it will unscrew the valve core as you unscrew the hose. Your tyre will deflate in around .002 of a second and you'll be left at the side of the road with a valve core that you will not be able to get tight enough by hand. If you use a pump where the head just pushes onto the valve, you should be fine (but worth nipping it tight anyway). Luckily I learnt this lesson in London and had another spare non-conti tube with me. Had it have happened in the wilds of Wales, I would have been in deep trouble!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the conti tubes- just as long as you tighten the valve core! I bought a 5-pack of them, so have plenty of them floating around on various bikes in the household - all with tightened valve cores though!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    schwalbe SV15s for me, absolutely fine tubes imo
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    I wouldn't worry; if you want to prevent punctures you need puncture-resistant tyres.

The tyres i now have,just wanted the best inners thats all.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Davdandy wrote:
    I wouldn't worry; if you want to prevent punctures you need puncture-resistant tyres.

Fair enough. I tend to buy Continental, if that's worth anything. :)
  • Davdandy wrote:

Fair enough. I tend to buy Continental, if that's worth anything. :)

I'm not sure about the best but the cheapest I have found is £2.50 delivered from Wiggle

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giant-road-inner-tubes-with-presta-valve/
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    marcusjb wrote:
    Your tyre will deflate in around .002 of a second and you'll be left at the side of the road with a valve core that you will not be able to get tight enough by hand.

Ooh, I dunno about that. I reckon you'd be looking at 250ms at least to deflate a tube from fully inflated.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Just invested in Continental Race Supersonic - very light and fast. Figure that if something is going to get through the tyre, then however thick the tube wall, it is likely to give way too.

If you are puncture-phobic, you could try the 'Slime' tubes which have green slime in them that seals any punctures. Have tried them on my MTB and seem to work. They are heavier (and therefore slower), and you should be careful before letting any air out of the valve in case you let any slime out that will then seal the valve!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Fr Howie wrote:
    Just invested in Continental Race Supersonic - very light and fast. Figure that if something is going to get through the tyre, then however thick the tube wall, it is likely to give way too.

+1 just moved from Conti Race to Supersonics, since I wanted the lightest tube.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Specialized make an inner tube that's slightly thicker on the road side and thinner on the spoke side (weighs the same it simply that the rubber is distributed differently).
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Ouija wrote:
    Specialized make an inner tube that's slightly thicker on the road side and thinner on the spoke side (weighs the same it simply that the rubber is distributed differently).

I've never had punctures on SP tubes. When I bought my aero wheels I bought a bulk of slightly cheaper tubes and I would constantly get flats without anything piercing through the tyre. TP was fine, tubes were just too delicate and shite.

IME tube does matter.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I use round black ones and never have a problem, or notice any difference at all between different round black ones.
  • Are Halfords tubes any good?

3 for a tenner seems a good price.

Is there anywhere else that sells them cheaper maybe?

My first post of many hopefully :D
  • CeeWay1986 wrote:
    Are Halfords tubes any good?

3 for a tenner seems a good price.

Is there anywhere else that sells them cheaper maybe?

My first post of many hopefully :D

Planet X are cheap especially if you spend over £20 with them to get free delivery.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/c/q/tyr ... nner_tubes
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Next time I order stuff up I will be getting some Foss tubes.

They are expensive but claim to be more puncture resistant and to self seal to some extent. They are less permeable than latex and so hold the air better

For normal inners I prefer Michelin A2 but I'm sure that they are all pretty similar
  • Has anyone ever used these?

http://www.innertubeshop.com/products/r ... -10-bundle

Free postage on orders over £10 (UK) or £2 on orders under £10

Take PayPal too.