Your Opinion: Avid BB7

zenroad
zenroad Posts: 7
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Any thoughts on Avid BB7 brakes? I've never had discs before, would like to put them on a new bike build-up, am NOT partial to hydraulics, and have read many good things about the BB7s. Are all the positive reviews just a bunch of hype, or do they really live up their reputation as "the best mechanical disc brake on the market." What makes them better than the rest?

I'm well aware of the disagreement about mechanical vs. hydraulic, and I'm not really interested in that. I want to know how the BB7s weigh in AS MECHANICALS (vs. other mechanicals). To you hydraulic lovers out there, what mechanical brake would you buy if hydraulics had never been developed or suddenly became extinct? (Yes, I know: you'd just stick your feet down like the Flintstones.)

I've also read of the wide range of quality among brake pads. Whether I go with the BB7s or some other manufacturer (dependent upon your advice herein), what pads should I use with mechanical disc brakes?

From sunny Florida, thank you! :D

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    edited October 2012
    I'd ask why don't cars use mechanical brakes? For very good reasons.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bikes don't weigh 2000lbs...

The BB7 is about the best mech brake there is, but I prefer the dual actuation ones. Actuating the rotor from both sides, rather than a moving/static set up gives better performance:

http://www.triplebuttedcycling.co.uk/ko ... t-30-p.asp
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    one of the best mech brakes out there.

But I would still fit hydros first.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    If you have to have mechanical brakes there are no better imo. They're 'different', but no worse, than most hydraulics. That said, I probably wouldn't go back to them from my current hydraulics unless there was a specific componentry-type reason.

I used the original Avid pads and Superstar sintered with no noticable difference in feel or power.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mechanical brakes need more maintenance than hydraulic, although the maintenance is much easier.

BB7 are almost certainly the best mechanical disc brakes you can get, but I'd still get something like the Shimano Deore hydraulic first.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Don't know if they are the best mechanical brakes cos the're the only ones I've tried, but I ran them for about 2 years and found them very good. I would still look at hydro's first though.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • The Rookie
    supersonic wrote:
    Bikes don't weigh 2000lbs...
    Neither do cars anymore!

Focus - about 3000lbs
    Discovery - about 6000lbs!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    zenroad wrote:
    . . .am NOT partial to hydraulics . . .
    From sunny Florida, thank you! :D

It might help us to advise you if you tell us why you don't want hydraulics - we'd be able to tell you then if mechanicals would avoid the problems that you foresee with hydraulics
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • hi mate ive had bb7s and elixier brakes on my bikes, the bb7s are great brakes not much maintenance to do on them dont know what the guy above is on about, but once you set the cables and centralise the pads with the red knobs either side of the calipers theres hardly any more maintenance that needs doing, apart from changing the pads when they get worn, certainly hydro brakes need alot more maintenance than that to keep them running at there best, not that much difference in power either, not much to go wrong with the bb7s either,hydos when there new are great, its when they start to get worn, then you start to get problems,but depends how much or how good you are at bike mechanics, bleeding hydro brakes is alot more involved than setting up bb7s, good luck which ever you choose, i personally wouldnt mind going back to bb7s, but then i dont need the extra stopping power of some hydro brakes.
  • The Rookie
    steviecapt wrote:
    hi mate ive had bb7s and elixier brakes on my bikes, the bb7s are great brakes not much maintenance to do on them dont know what the guy above is on about, but once you set the cables and centralise the pads with the red knobs either side of the calipers theres hardly any more maintenance that needs doing, .
    The fact that to keep them working in top condition you have to adjust the pads periodically, hydro's are self adjusting (mostly, ignoring Giant MPH, Hayes So1e and a few others), hence why they need more, Hydro's I usually never have to touch AT ALL other than change pads.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    I've never had discs before
    am NOT partial to hydraulics

I'm trying to figure out how you've come to that opinion, but failing.

Anyway.

Assuming that I had developed an irrational dislike of the best tool for the job, I guess would fit some decent rim brakes, either dual pull or V brake, not fussed which.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I can see why some don't like or need hydraulics. Just look through the the Workshop area, is littered with disc problems ie sticking pistons, bleed problems, uneven lever travel, lack of adjustability (unless you spend a lot of money) and so on. Mechanicals can provide good performance and straightforward intuitive maintenance for many. Combine with something like a Avid Speed Dial lever and you can get just about any feel you want.
  • bsc8180
    bsc8180 Posts: 17
    I started with bb5's and they were a pain to adjust. The bb7's pads have a larger surface area and just feel nicer. They are also easier to adjust vs the bb5. Worth the extra money over bb5's in my opinion.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I know a lot of people who by bikes with BB5s (eg Boardman CX), end up upgrading to BB7s. They are seen as a significant improvement although I must say that I have never tried them myself.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've still got the BB5s on my Boardman CX, they're fine. I've not tried BB7s though, and the demands of commuting are different to MTBing. I'd choose hydros every time, but if I had to have cables I'd go with the BBs.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    supersonic wrote:
    I can see why some don't like or need hydraulics. Just look through the the Workshop area, is littered with disc problems ie sticking pistons, bleed problems, uneven lever travel, lack of adjustability (unless you spend a lot of money) and so on.
    Most of those are caused by people pi**ing about with them rather than just leaving them alone though (and using Avid brakes :lol: )
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    (and using Avid brakes :lol: )
    nothing wrong with avid brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    supersonic wrote:
    I can see why some don't like or need hydraulics. Just look through the the Workshop area, is littered with disc problems ie sticking pistons, bleed problems, uneven lever travel, lack of adjustability (unless you spend a lot of money) and so on.
    Never had a problem with my 3 sets of avids.

Sorry couldn't even keep a straight face typing that, they're close to going in the bin :lol:
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    nicklouse wrote:
    nothing wrong with avid brakes.

+1
    I've had Juicy 5s for about 3 years and only maintenance has been changing pads and bleeding a couple of times (once to shorten a hose and once to change hose set as one got pulled off on an off incident).
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130