How long did it take you to get used to Clipless pedals?

Carl170
Carl170 Posts: 99
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Just trying out my first pair of clipless pedals yesterday. This is the first time I have ever tried them.

I was using CB Mallets (with the eggbeaters style clips) and it feels so weird to be clipped in.

I have had a couple of near misses, but was riding around a park, where I knew the damage would be limited. The worst is a kind of panic stricken memory blank just before you think you are going to topple over.

How many hours do you reckon you put in before it becomes second nature?

Does it actually become second nature? or do you still have accidents?

Cheers

Carl

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    After about a week of commuting it was second nature - almost.....still have the od panic stricken comedy moment though-3 years later!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    I used toe clips and straps all through my teenaged years, so the conversion to 'clipless' pedals felt very natural. I remember practicing unclipping while propped against a wall, but I was comfortable with them after a single ride. I have fell off twice in the last 10 years, always with an audience. Be extra vigilant when people are watching, you will never fall when your on your own.
  • Newfish
    Newfish Posts: 121
    A couple of weeks probably. I have had mine for years but now, after a long break, am trying to get used to them again. Have had a couple of proper comedy moments where I get stuck, usually when they are full of mud and a bit sticky or I have adjusted them and getting used to them. The other day however I came round a corner up at Cannock and the back end went, I had the foot out and ready without even thinking about it.

Persevere and it'll become second nature I'm sure.
    Cheers,
    Simon.
    5 minutes. I was a skier for 8 years.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    edited October 2012
    A couple rides and I was used to them, they just become second nature, I never do them too tight so never had a issue unclipping.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    5 minutes. I was a skier for 8 years.

This, basically. I couldn't believe it was so difficult for all my mates at the time, but I guess I was just pretty lucky.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Got used to them quickly enough, had a few comedy falls when I forgot my feet were now stuck to the bike.
    But, after a few years I switched back to flats, and never looked back.
  • Carl170
    Carl170 Posts: 99
    Well, Just got back from another ride and had my first sideways fall.

Going up a hill on the town moor, and I decided that the gear I was in was wrong. Couldn't change gear quickly enough, and just did the slow sideways thing! Fortunately, I just landed in very soft grass and mud.

Still not convinced, but will persevere. I think the problem is unclipping when you are not at the top or bottom of the pedal stroke. I don't really ride any where too extreme, so not too sure where the benefits will be. However, I can feel the circular motion is a load better as I am not just pushing down on alternate legs.

My knees felt a bit funny and my quads feel like they have had a workout. I think I read somewhere that the cleats may need adjusting one way if your quads hurt and another way if its your hamstring.

I hav also ordered some kneepads!

Regards

Carl
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    A few minutes frankly! Never done the whole 'slow speed sideways fall' thing!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Have always ridden clipped in even in my previous MTB life 20 years ago (toe clips :shock: ). Am a snowboarder so used to being stuck to my ride...saying that, still have the odd comedy sideways fall...normally at the end of a very big ride when exhausted
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Just make sure you select the rite gear when climbing technical stuff I ended up in the bushes when didn't in clip in time and could pedal any where lol it hurt
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That's just a riding skill, not really clipless skills.

The clipless skill is starting again on a steep incline if you stop in the middle and getting back in.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    nah, the clipless skill is realising you don't actually need them :lol:
  • sigorman85
    What made you go back to flat yeehaa?
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• YeehaaMcgee
    A few things.
    I was using my bike top pootle around more, riding to work, and school, and got fed up of having to change shoes, or have no grip on the pedals.
    At the time, I was getting into just trying to ride stupid things, having a laugh with my mates whilst trying to outdo each other getting up, onto, over or along increasingly stupid obstacles - so I got a set of flats for that kind of messing about.
    Once I was back on the flats, I got a bit lazy, and couldn't be arsed swapping pedals for XC-type rides - and in that lazyness, I realised that any initially perceived advantage of them was so small as to be pointless, so I stayed on flats.
  • Rankles
    Rankles Posts: 144
    Tried them 8 years ago on the MTB. Couldn't get used to them over six or eight months. Went back to flats and haven't turned back.

I use them all the time for road riding and commuting, but I cant handle them on the trails.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    nah, the clipless skill is realising you don't actually need them :lol:

Possibly...ride flats on the DH & fun bikes and kinda considering dumping on the 'hopper too. Plenty switchbacks over here and I can tackle them a lot quicker on flats. But then I'm also gaining some trials-esque skills by staying clipped in through slow, tricky sections, over obstacles etc.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • sigorman85
    Fair one yeehaa

• marz
    marz Posts: 130
    Took about a 10 rides to get comfortable with them, but like others I'd ridden with straps for years and so found the transition easy.
    Now I have the spring tension maxed out and yes, clipping out is second nature. To the point I can drop my foot if I'm loosing it in a corner.
    I've tried flats a few times and keep a pair handy for jump sessions, but I don't like going slow and so always switch back spds.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Herb71 wrote:
    you will never fall when your on your own.
    This, i can tackle all sorts on my own, no issues, put just one person near by and i become a bag of nerves!

I also use CB pedals, but i take them off in the "slop" season, hence i've been on flats pretty much all year, I like Yehaaa have found that i'm not missing much, but that one weekend this year i did a race and it was dry, i found on my HT i was bouncing off the pedals a bit too much.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Took 2 or 3 rides to get used to them, mine are fairly loose though, I use multi release cleats, I use them everywhere, race, training, trail riding etc. had a few comedy fall offs stopping and toppling over to start, now I don't feel 'connected' to my bike without them.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    A few rides - half a dozen'ish? I wouldn't use anything else.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Herb71 wrote:
    This, i can tackle all sorts on my own, no issues, put just one person near by and i become a bag of nerves!

I also use CB pedals, but i take them off in the "slop" season, hence i've been on flats pretty much all year, I like Yehaaa have found that i'm not missing much, but that one weekend this year i did a race and it was dry, i found on my HT i was bouncing off the pedals a bit too much.
    if you're bouncing off the pedals, then you should work on your technique, and absorb the trail with your legs. That'll pay dividends whether you're on flats or clips.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Herb71 wrote:

if you're bouncing off the pedals, then you should work on your technique, and absorb the trail with your legs. That'll pay dividends whether you're on flats or clips.
    your right, i was so used to riding with clips on a full bouncer and on propper terrain, when i was in a race on a HT on flats going accross a bumpy farmers field, my technique went out the window as i was blowing out my arse and thinking why did i sign up for this! :lol:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • I had it mastered overnight.
    That was back in 1992 when I was about 14 & had them for christmas.

Since then I have had phases of not riding for 2 or 3 years. I can get back on the bike & clip in like I've never been off. I have this year got back into cycling seriously after literally not doing a proper ride for 3 years & it's still 2nd nature.
  • jezandu
    jezandu Posts: 10
    Realistically I would say a few rides to get the idea but about 6 months till it came second nature and I could clip in and out without thinking. After 15 years of using them I notice I flick my heel out even when on flats!

www.followingthechainline.blogspot.com
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I rode in spd's from early on in my mtbing - I got them for touring actually and kept them for mtb. When I came to BC last summer everyone told me clips were a nono in the bike park and I switched to flats and DC's - started riding my xc bike with flats too and basically found it easier, more confidence inspiring and realised that whatever benefits I had believed there were seemed to be lost.

I miss the stiffer shoe for pedalling a bit but to be honest I am not in a race and pedalling downhill I dont notice it and it doesnt stop me going uphill. I rode my hardtail on flats for the first time in years and was worried I'd find that trickier but I didnt have any issues.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    About 5 minutes... I found it harder to clip in then unclip..
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838