Gar in edge 800 maps

andrewyzfr6
andrewyzfr6 Posts: 194
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I bought an edge at the start of the year, wrongly not the trail bundle. I would like the full uk discoverer mapping, but they (garmin, or shops I found) want about £200 for it!!! I can get an edge 800 with the discoverer mapping( trail or enduro packs) for about £335.
Any ideas how to get the mapping cheaper?
Or what maps will be suitable for natural riding out in the wilds? There is a chance I would go anywhere in the uk.
The price is worse than a rip off.
2011 Orange 224 evo race
2009 Orange 5 pro
2008 Scott Scale 30
2002 S-works m5 fsr

Comments

• handful
    handful Posts: 920
    The OSM maps are fine, google talkytoaster and get them from there. I find the OS Discover maps too detailed and difficult to follow but that's probably partly due to poor reading eyes these days. There are various 'underground' places where you can download the maps for free but I couldn't possibly pass on where or condone such activity as it's highly illegal.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Depends where the mapping is sourced from - some OS products and now 'open'. Depends on the base mapping as to whether this applies.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • I've had serious hassle doing illegal movie n music downloads, so don't bother with it. I was hoping there was a cheaper legit way to get the proper maps, but I'll jet ave to pay £200 :-( boo hoo
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • I've had serious hassle doing illegal movie n music downloads, so don't bother with it. I was hoping there was a cheaper legit way to get the proper maps, but I'll jet ave to pay £200 :-( boo hoo

As someone said previously in this thread, OSM openstreetmap are free and in my opinion better than the paid for OS maps.
    Please search previous garmin threads for screen shots etc.etc.
    Here is one example
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12850992