Dual Air Revelations

m1tch666
m1tch666 Posts: 148
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My current build (2010 Meta 55) has inherited my Dual Air Revelations (150-130-110) set to 150, which I enjoy. My friend has completed his build (2009 Meta 55) with the U-Turn Revs. The Meta runs 140 as standard. As soon as we hit a hill and he dials his down I'm left puffing like a mad man and attempting to stop the front end lifting.

My question is, I'm about to put my Revs in for a service, can I convert them to dual position by replacing my Spring Assembly with the Dual Position Air - Spring Assembly?
Dartmoor Primal 26" 1 x 10, 40 expander
Banshee Spitfire 650b 1 x 10, 42 expander

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Anyhting is possible, but it would probably be cheaper to sell yours and buy some equivalent age dualies as the price of new service parts to do that (you'll probably only carry over the lowers and rebound damper, uppers are usually air or coil specific and you'll need all the air spring gubbins as well) will probably exceed the cost of a new pair of forks!

Or get a longer nosed saddle and get used to prching on the nose!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • m1tch666
    I get what you're saying but mines are already dual air, with the searching I've done on the sram website, singletrack etc the only difference appear to be the dual position part of the spring assemble which can be had as a whole assembly for about £80.

I'm quite happy to spend £150 which will service and convert my current forks, rather than try and buy another set and sell my own.

From my limited technical knowledge It'd be different if I was solo air or u-turn but as said before it's dual air to dual air, dual position. I'm only looking for someone that's maybe already done this to confirm??

Maybe a quick call to tftuned tomorrow will be the answer :)

p.s. I'm actually looking for a saddle with a drop nose to sit on I feel it's that far back, I'm still learning to manual on the flat for any distance but give me a shallow incline and I'll show you a unicycle with a fat man riding ;)
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Some points to consider:
    The dual position air assembly is solo air so be aware that you will lose some adjustability. Depending on what the assembly kit includes, you may need to buy a new dial for the fork leg top too.
    Dual position air is more linear than the fixed travel spring-the fork wont perfom exactly the same as before. Some prefer a more linear spring, some do not.
    Finally, a travel adjust fork will not magically fly you to the top of hills! Whilst it will reduce the front end lift a bit, it will not compensate for fitness.
  • m1tch666
    Yeah, I may just have it spacered to 130 and leave it at that. The more I read on dual positin the more I think leave it alone. My mates are u-turn. Fitness isn't an issue, my weight is, I can push all day, just not as fast as the lightweights lol