Brakes and reverb.

golfergmc
golfergmc Posts: 426
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
This is doing my head in trying to get the remote on my reverb comfortable, I have avid 5 brakes and the clamp is not compatible. What brakes will work with the reverb remote?
Cervelo S5 Team 2012
Scott Addict R2 2010
Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
Kona Tanuki Supreme

Comments

• For MMX compatibility, the brakes need to be new avid's with an MMX clamp. I run old Elixir R's which are not MMX compatible so I have it mounted using the separate mount included.
    For the most comfortable mounting position, you have to run a single ring and put the remote underneath the bars in place of the shifter however, if that is not possible, you will just have to experiment with the placing and angle of it on the bars.
    Remember though, it is not something you need to be able to hold your thumb over all the time like a shifter. It just has to be pressed for a split second at the top and bottom of each descent.
    Due to the design of the remote, it is impossible to get it to feel as natural as a shifter but as it is not in constant use and usually has to be used with a front shifter, the compromise has to be made.
    This however should not prevent it from getting in an acceptable position for the second you use it.
    I found the issue I original had when trying to set mine up was that, when testing the positioning, I held my thumb over the button which felt uncomfortable. On a proper ride however, I find the positioning to be spot on for the small amount of time you press it for each ride.