Road Pedals for Ultegra FC-6750 Compact Crankset?

4nd23w
4nd23w Posts: 6
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I've just upgraded my road bike and was wondering if anyone has some advice on what pedals I should buy and what looks good on a Shimano Ultegra FC-6750 Compact Crankset?

On my previous bikes I've had Look Keo's which I found almost to easy to clip out of and Shinamo 105 which were great pedals but in my opinion wouldn't look good on a Ultegra Crankset.

I've looked at the Ultegra pedals and think they are well over priced for what they are.... or are they? £80-£100 seems steep to me.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Andrew

Comments

  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've never heard of coordinating pedals with cranks.

    Just get the pedals you prefer.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    If you can see the pedals whilst you are riding then you're doing something wrong.
  • 4nd23w
    4nd23w Posts: 6
    It's not that I want to see the pedals when I'm on my bike.... would you put bright green pedals on an orange bike? NO! This forum is for advice, I don't want to spend over £80 on Ultegra pedals and I dont want Look Keo pedals as they are to easy to clip out of, all I'm asking for is advice on other pedals out there that I'm unaware of that would be simular colour to the crank so it doesnt look crap.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    4nd23w wrote:
    would you put bright green pedals on an orange bike?
    Yeah, green and orange can go quite well together as long as you don't have any other colours in the mix. But then I wouldn't really be bothered what colour they were as long as the worked ok.
    4nd23w wrote:
    I don't want to spend over £80 on Ultegra pedals and I dont want Look Keo pedals as they are to easy to clip out of
    Agreed £80 is a bit steep for pedals, I'm sure 105s would look fine. Or even better r540s which are basically 105 equivalent, their name wouldn't clash with the Ultegra on your cranks and you'd save yourself £60 compared to the Ultegras.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    4nd23w wrote:
    It's not that I want to see the pedals when I'm on my bike.... would you put bright green pedals on an orange bike? NO! This forum is for advice, I don't want to spend over £80 on Ultegra pedals and I dont want Look Keo pedals as they are to easy to clip out of, all I'm asking for is advice on other pedals out there that I'm unaware of that would be simular colour to the crank so it doesnt look crap.

    Look keo blades are NOT easy to clip out of...but they are £100
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The entry level spd-sl's from Shimano are all you need. And as they only say Shimano on them they go with any Shimano level group set.

    Even if the Ultegra did last twice as long (which they won't) you could buy a second set of r540's and still have change....and a second set of cleats :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You can get the ultegra ones for as little as 60 quid if you shop around.
  • 4nd23w
    4nd23w Posts: 6
    thegibdog wrote:
    Agreed £80 is a bit steep for pedals, I'm sure 105s would look fine. Or even better r540s which are basically 105 equivalent, their name wouldn't clash with the Ultegra on your cranks and you'd save yourself £60 compared to the Ultegras.

    Thanks for the advice, just shopped around and found Ultegra pedals for £63.99 on Chain Reation but they don't come back in stock until next month so I'm going ahead and buying the r540 you suggested and see how they go :D
  • 4nd23w
    4nd23w Posts: 6
    coriordan wrote:
    You can get the ultegra ones for as little as 60 quid if you shop around.

    Just found them for £63.99 on Chain Reaction, over 40% off! Happy days :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i went to bikeinn.com (a US site) where they show the price in pounds (59.03 was what I paid) and got them pricematched at Evans (a year or so ago - I think I was lucky)
  • 4nd23w
    4nd23w Posts: 6
    coriordan wrote:
    i went to bikeinn.com (a US site) where they show the price in pounds (59.03 was what I paid) and got them pricematched at Evans (a year or so ago - I think I was lucky)

    I never thought about price matching Evans cycles... I've just sent them a price match for the ones at Chain Reaction Cycles for £63.99 as they are out of stock there! Thanks for the tip pal!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They have a strict policy who they pricematch to, which they are cracking down on. They used to pricematch to anyone, but you could wangle it by saying 'my mate did' or just umming and erring and they just go 'sod it, go on then'. However - now they have a strict list of approved suppliers and unfortunately they tend not to pricematch if the other product is out of stock.
    Check out their website for details- then you can trawl through their list of approved suppliers to find the best price!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    (5 quid to buy, 80 quid postage - just noticed!)
  • ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135