Raleigh sf3.0 Vs Boardman Comp Hybrid

mpeach
mpeach Posts: 2
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
Hi, I'm new here.

I was all set to buy a Boardman Hybrid Comp until a guy I know said he had a like-new Raleigh sf 3.0 (2009 I think), used a couple of times literally.

All else being equal which do I buy?
The money isn't the be-all but there's a local Halfords opening with offers so the Boardman is £450.
The friend would sell the Raleigh for £200.

The Boardman frame looks better than the Raleigh as does the bike in general.
I think the level of equipment is comparable but with the Raleigh having a carbon fork and hydraulic discs (are mechanical less maintenance?).

Have searched here and the internet in general and can find almost nothing about the Raleigh sf 3.0 which I take to be a BAD sign...?

Any help much appreciated.
MP

Comments

• Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    I haven't got experience of Raleigh hybrids, but I know from reviews they are generally good bikes. You will hear some people complain that they are just a brand with a factory in South East Asian factory pumping out bikes by the thousand, so they have lost their soul and history. Then again, many brands are nowadays.

I do however have experience of the boardman hybrids after owning a 2010 team hybrid for 2 and half years. Apart from the smooth welds of the boardman (which look very nice) I think you'll find the main difference is higher spec for your money on the boardman - which is always commented on in reviews you'll read. Ride wise, again I can only comment on the boardman, but I have to say its nippy and very robust. I've was using mine for commutes and longer weekend rides and it never failed me.

My steed has now sadly been retired as I've just got a road bike. The ad hasn't gone up yet, so let me know if you're interested and I make sure I finally get around to posting it.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"