best xc style bike for less then £400

callmac
callmac Posts: 2
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
basicly looking for advice on the best xc bike for less the £400, im not new to riding but have been out of it since i was about 15/16 and iv been 19 a few months now, the bike will be mainly used for fitness but also would like somthing i can take into the sticks and have a good blast on, it wouldnt be used for anything to harsh as i still have my jump bike for that or any agressive riding as i get more into it, so whats worth a look ? :D

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you can stretch to £500 the Rockrider 8.1 fits your requirements to perfection, dropping back to £400 will see a significant loss in performance.
    The Vulcan fom Halfords is more XC->trail as are the Voodoo's, up not very up on the Rockriders (Decathlon own brand) but would suggest that is probably where you'll need to look for a more XC only orientated bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Read the thread at the top of this forum about £300 - £500 bikes. My guess is the answer is in there!
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • i would say look on ebay, you will get a much better bike for your budget.

but if you want new the khs alite is on offer at 499 and gets great reviews as dose the voodoo hoodoo. and halfords have £25 off at the momoent so its 475
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

if you make yourself a member of british cycling for £13 for a years membership you get 10% all bike even if its in the sale. so you could get it for 427 bargain