Narrow tyres on Stans Crest rims

ADL
ADL Posts: 138
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm thinking about getting a set of narrow slicks/semi-slicks for my XC hardtail to do some road training during the working week. These ones seem to tick all the boxes (cheapish, slick, light, folding):
Michelin Wild Run'R Advanced Light
but 1.1 sounds a bit narrow :) I run Crest rims, and the sticker says one can use 1.0 tyres pumped to 60 psi, so it might be just fine (the recommended tyre pressure is 58-87 psi, and I'll set them up with tubes).
Does anyone have any experience running narrow tyres on Crests? Thanks.

Comments

• Isn't the crest 21mm internal?

If so, according to Sheldon you shouldn't really go under 35mm for tyres (1.38") to avoid pinches, rim damage etc.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html (you specifically want the chart near the bottom), although he does say that chart is possibly a little on the safe side.

However, if Stans say you can go as low as 1.0 then I'd take their word on it I guess.

For the record, I've Just got some 1.3 Schwalbe duranos to go on my 19mm internal wheels. Will let you know how they go once the wheels arrive :)
  • ADL
    Isn't the crest 21mm internal?
    Yep.
    If so, according to Sheldon you shouldn't really go under 35mm for tyres (1.38") to avoid pinches, rim damage etc.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html (you specifically want the chart near the bottom), although he does say that chart is possibly a little on the safe side.

However, if Stans say you can go as low as 1.0 then I'd take their word on it I guess.
    Actually, I might double-check with them directly...
    For the record, I've Just got some 1.3 Schwalbe duranos to go on my 19mm internal wheels. Will let you know how they go once the wheels arrive :)
    Looking forward to it :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    IMO pointless to go for super skinny tyres on an MTB. 1.5" upwards are a lot more comfortable and roll well.
    Skinny are for road bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    IMO pointless to go for super skinny tyres on an MTB. 1.5" upwards are a lot more comfortable and roll well.
    Skinny are for road bikes.
    +1
  • ADL
    Ok, any opinions on Schwalbe Kojak 26 x 2.0 folding? Will there by any noticeable difference compared to my current Nobby Nics Evo 2.1?
  • The Kojaks are awesome. Have only tried the skinnier versions on a Dale though, but really nice and speedy. The 2.0 will be much more comfy and fast. If i was getting more skinnies i would buy these now i know you can buy the folding ones from ze Germans
  • ADL
    I'm a bit hesitant to go for skinny tyres with Crest rims, since there might be problems with high (>60 psi) pressures, even when using a tube... So I guess I'll get the Kojaks in 2.0 version rather than 1.35.

Still wondering if I'll notice any difference after the Nobby Nics, which I found ridiculously fast on road for such a knobby tyre.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Another vote for the Kojak's fantastic tyre. I have them in 2.0 flavour and they are super fast compared to knobbly tyres, you will notice the difference.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got 25mm slicks on my road bike (disc braked CX) which as 29er Crest rims. They're fine. Stans also told me that the pressure limits only apply to tubeless setups.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ADL
    bails87 wrote:
    I've got 25mm slicks on my road bike (disc braked CX) which as 29er Crest rims. They're fine. Stans also told me that the pressure limits only apply to tubeless setups.
    What pressure are you running them at?
    Some time ago I pumped up a tubed Nobby Nic 2.1 to ~55psi (it was a bit stupid, I know), and it exploded. Could be a faulty tyre though :)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The tyres are 'plumped up' by the wide rim quite well, so I run about 80 in the back and 70 in the front. Seems to be comfortable enough, no pinch punctures, and I hop up/down kerbs a few times a day on my commute (not riding on the pavement, getting on/off badly designed shared use paths).
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."