Isle of Wight: road bike or CX bike?

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Am after some local knowledge.

Does anyone know if there are any decent trails for kids to ride on? If so, could you let me know where they are, because I'd prefer not to ride through the lanes with kids, particularly if the weather's a bit naff.

If there are no decent trails, I'll take the road bike, which leads me to my next question: how long does it take to ride around the edge of the island, from Freshwater -> Ventnor -> Ryde, but then cutting through the middle back to Freshwater via Newport?

I can get a very rough time from an AA route planner, but is a lumpy route?

Cheers.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    There is a surprising amount of traffic on the Isle of Wight. Something to consider. It is a lovely place, but the roads are crowded. That said, there s a 10-mile traffic free path from, I think, Yarmouth heading north (my memory is a little vague on the start point, its been a frw years since I rode it, but it is near Yarmouth) It is very nice. A whole loop of the island on the signpsted round-island cycle route is 62 miles. I did it on a road bike, no worries. They do have MBT trails as well.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Dug this out.

http://www.cyclewight.org.uk/routes.html

I recall there are some nice rides along old railway tracks near Sandown/Ashey.

IOW is VERY Hilly, and they're not just inclines, they're hills.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    That said, there s a 10-mile traffic free path from, I think, Yarmouth heading north

Wow, that must be new, and quite an achievement! :D:D:D

http://goo.gl/maps/0Oklm

Looks like it ends in the new forest, but take your snorkel!
  • Hoopdriver
    prj45 wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    That said, there s a 10-mile traffic free path from, I think, Yarmouth heading north

Wow, that must be new, and quite an achievement! :D:D:D

http://goo.gl/maps/0Oklm

Looks like it ends in the new forest, but take your snorkel!
    Okay, northeast...
  • cjcp
    Ok, good to know about the amount of traffic. It's 21 years since I rode there, and I was expecting it to be fairly quiet.

I found the IOW sportive route on Strava. but I think it'll be the CX bike, as I think the kids will want to go riding.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Hoopdriver
    I think you're wise.

We holiday on the Isle of Wight a couple times a year and although the island is trying to promote itself as a cycling destination (and it is beautiful) there is a lo of traffic even on the suggested roads for the round-island rout. Have done it, as I said above, but that was on my own. I would not really want my kids (ages 9 and 11) doing any if the on-road routes there.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    There's a nice path / trail from Yarmouth going to Totland finishing at the Needles old battery with the added bonus of a rather nice pub with good food and no motorised traffic.

They use that route on the IOW Tri I think it would be about 5-6 miles each way.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    There's a nice path / trail from Yarmouth going to Totland finishing at the Needles old battery with the added bonus of a rather nice pub with good food and no motorised traffic.

They use that route on the IOW Tri I think it would be about 5-6 miles each way.

Oh yes I forgot its also totally flat.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    The other option is that I take my road bike and head out early on my own, and get back in time for the morning feed. I see there are a lot of Strava segments in the area I'm staying...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Do you remember back in the early days of SCR when we did our own mini sportive season? Some of the group did the IOW I seem to remember attica did it SS, but then he's not right in the head.