blow out again, whats wrong?

kela66
kela66 Posts: 32
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Hi All,

Advice required please, I have recently converted to road after many years on MTB and have changed plenty of tyres and tubes over the years. My first road bike (since my Raleigh Arena circa 1979) is a Wilier Lavaredo fitted with Miche Reflex wheels & CST RIGIDA 700-23c Steel bead non-folding tyres.
Everything was fine untill a snakebite pinch flat, i fitted a new Specialized inner tube 700 x 20 to get home rather than fix it roadside, out again the next day I topped the pressure in the tyre up and headed out 5 mins later and BANG, the innertube had pushed the tyre off the rim and exploded! as this was litrally 3mins away from a short but steep hill that its easy to reach 30/40 mph down i was very concearned. the bike was pushed back home and another tube fitted (same make) the next time it was used was to ride to work (only a 5min ride) and the pressure was topped up with a track pump at about 7.30am, rode home for lunch and while eating it BANG again the inner tube had pushed the tyre of the rim! aarr.

What am i doing wrong?? the same pressure is in the back wheel (both blow outs have been front) I have fitted a new tube today using my hands only to put the tyre back on the rim, having checked the tube to see if its tucked into the tyre it does not seen to be in the tyre properly ie inside the bead, is there a trick to fitting road tubes? I always put a little air in the tube but have tried with and without to get a uniform fit but to no avail. any advice ideas welcome as these blow outs are not very confidece inspiring to say the least.
thanks in advance Kela
Drop bars n beat's

Comments

• Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    You say you're fitting 700x20 tubes into a 700x23 tyre. Are the tubes rated for tyres no bigger than 20mm? If so, you are probably over inflating them to get them to fit. You'd be better off with something 700x18-25.

Failing that, is the rim tape OK?

Rob
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    kela66 wrote:
    it does not seen to be in the tyre properly ie inside the bead
    That could be the problem. Always check that the tube isn't pinched under the bead at any point around the circumference. If the tyre is already all the way on it can be a bit of a fiddle getting the tube under the tyre, so best try to avoid the problem while fitting the tyre. You can sort of pull the tube out of the way with the fingers of the forward hand while you are pushing the bead over the rim. Another trick is to try to start and finish putting the tyre on beside the valve hole. Usually when the tube gets pinched it's when you are coaxing the last part of the bead over the rim. If this is right beside the valve, you can often get it under the bead again by pushing the valve from underneath.
  • FlacVest
    FlacVest Posts: 100
    Make sure the bead is fully inserted. What I've found was to put the tube and tire on, and inflate the tube just a bit, not even 20 psi. Just to inflate it. Then, check the stem. If the stem base is a bit wide, it could cause the tire to hold ONTO the tube, and cause the bead to float over the rim in that area.

While at a low psi, grab the stem of the tube and push up, making sure the bead is level all the way around. I really wanted to ride the other day, but I decided not to risk it, and fiddle with the tire for another 30 minutes until I found this out. This could be your problem.

Also, don't over-inflate the tube. If you don't have a pump with a gage, get one. Make sure the tube is the right size as well.
  • extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    Check your rim ape. I had this problem when i changed to super lighttubes, turned out the rim tape would be pushed aside to reveal the spoke holes as it was quite a thin strip. Fixed it at first with insulating tape, then got some velox fabric tape ...
  • extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    extrusion wrote:
    Check your rim ape.

Rim apes eh? Nasty little buggers ...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    What's wrong? You're not checking that the tyres is seated properly before you fully inflate it.

It doesn't matter where you start. Here's what you do.

Inflate the tube slightly prior to fitting so that it's roughly wheel diameter. Fit it, start where you like it really doesn't matter. Fit the tyre ove the rim making sure that where it meets the valve you push the valve up to allow the bead to slot under the rim. Blow it up a bit so that it's soft but filling the tyre enough, the hold it up & spin the wheel. Eyeball the rim on both sides to see that there are no uneven sctions and that the tyre is equally bedded in all the way round. If it's not, let it down & reseat it properly. Repeat until you're happy with it, then inflate it fully.

It's the spinning the wheel to identify high spots that allows you to seat it properly. Do that & you can't go wrong.
  • kela66
    kela66 Posts: 32
    Many thanks for the advice lad's much appreciated, it would seem I've been rushing the job, another lesson learned :oops:
    Drop bars n beat's