DH protective gear

Maddog1979
Maddog1979 Posts: 185
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Now the Orange 224 is finished.. i turn my attention to protective gear.

I was looking at the 661 Evo helmet in XL... any thoughts... anyone got one?, any decent (cheaper?) alternatives?

I'm guessing any MX goggles should be fine?

Are the shin and elbow guards a try to see fit job.. as some comapnies fits will be different.

Think im gonna go for 510 shoes as it appears they are a good standard.

Cheers.

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Helmets are a very personal thing due to the fit but I would be looking at THE helmets instead of the 661. I've had an Evo, a THE Point 5 and a THE T2 and the THE are just better, the T2 being the best. The padding on the THE's are better and the peaks are much tougher, the 661's like to snap if you look at them in the wrong way. The Point 5's are cheaper than the Evo's on CRC ATM as well.

Between the Point 5 and T2 I would definitely go for the T2 if you afford it. The strap is slightly better and the liner is much much better. It also allows slightly more movement with a neck brace if you use one and the it just feels better quality.

There's also the likes of the Urge Down-O-Matic which looks very nice, I know a few people with them who like them and the Fox Rampage, again I know a few people who have them and they do the job nicely.

With knee/shin pads, are you sure you want the shin pads? I personally find knee pads much more comfortable so never wear shin pads but if you do want them then there's nothing wrong with that. They are a try for fit item though as are elbow pads.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have used a 661 Evo, THE Point 5, Bell Drop and Urge Down-O-Matic. The 661 is by far the best value but the finish could be a lot better though it will keep your swede in one piece. The Down-O-Matic is by far the best helmet I have used, great fit with different thickness pads to get it right, nice finish and some good features like a flexible peak which doesn't shatter and the helmet is extremely light.
    Oakley O Frame goggles are cheap, light & well made, Fox The Main goggles are re-badged O-Frames and sometimes cheaper & Oakley lenses fit.
    5:10 shoes grip incredibly well but really absorb water so are unpleasant when its wet. Teva shoes don't grip as well but are better in wet conditions. Shimano AM41 flat shoes are also pretty good.
    661 armour / pads are cheap, work well and fit me well but they don't last as well as some of the alternatives. I can just about get a years use out of 661 armour.
  • Is it ok to just use a MX helmet?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I wouldn't use one, just like I wouldn't use a DH helmet for MX.

This is quite an interesting read on the subject.
  • rockmonkeysc
    A carbon helmet at that price is going to be a bit rubbish. If your spending under £150 avoid carbon
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I have used a 661 Evo, THE Point 5, Bell Drop and Urge Down-O-Matic. The 661 is by far the best value but the finish could be a lot better though it will keep your swede in one piece. The Down-O-Matic is by far the best helmet I have used, great fit with different thickness pads to get it right, nice finish and some good features like a flexible peak which doesn't shatter and the helmet is extremely light.
    Oakley O Frame goggles are cheap, light & well made, Fox The Main goggles are re-badged O-Frames and sometimes cheaper & Oakley lenses fit.
    5:10 shoes grip incredibly well but really absorb water so are unpleasant when its wet. Teva shoes don't grip as well but are better in wet conditions. Shimano AM41 flat shoes are also pretty good.
    661 armour / pads are cheap, work well and fit me well but they don't last as well as some of the alternatives. I can just about get a years use out of 661 armour.

For me, all this works extremely well! Urge Down-O-Matic, Fox Rockstar (Oakley) goggles & 5:10 shoes :D (with 661 Kyle Strait knee guards)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • What are the oneal lids like?
  • If it fits......

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/3 ... elmet_2010

I got one a few months ago and find it fits much better than my old FF helmets: 661, the Giro (although that had zombies on it so it was cooler by default), and the old TLD D2.
  • hmmmm

XL (or fat head) is what i'm looking for....
  • Worth a punt. You can always return it if the sizing is off.

Winstanleys get a slating round here. Not saying it's not justified (they can be rubbish for updating out of stock items for example), but I've ordered a few things from them lately and they've been sound.
  • Are there any shops in the North West that actually have a stock of full face helmets to try on?
    Been to loads of places and no one has stock to hand ... its all bought to order.. Evans Velodrome was the only place that had some but did't have any in XL. Grrrr.
  • Just order one, if it doesn't fit, end it back for another one. Simples.

CRC are very good for that. They include all the info in your order on how to send it back for free. Dead easy to do.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    The best helmet is one that fits. I had to try a few on until I found one that fitted. Got an O'neal Airtech now, used it a few times and it seems really good for the price. Finish isn't the best, but it's well enough made, comfy, looks good and it's pretty hefty. I did order a THE T2 from CRC when i was looking for a new lid, didn't fit very well though and sent it back, pretty simple job. Was easier to just go to a shop and try them on though.

As for pads, I use 661 kyle straits, most knee/shin combos tend to fall down and not do a very good job.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a Kali Avatar and its awesome, light, technically well built, great protection (apparently) and very comfy - their carbon lids are so light they feel like xc lids and are supposed to be amazing but very pricey. Composite lids are reasonable prices, look good and fit me perfectly.

For other gear I wear 661 Kyle Strait (but they make the Rage now which doesnt seem quite as nice) and I have chicken elbow guards. I dont wear more armour than that but for a pressure suit I'd go 661 over Fox as the fox ones appear to be made from toothpaste and cheese.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Well my tiki lid from Winstanleys is showing as in stock... and active... lets see what happens..

Whats the Brand X stuff like?
  • Ooo it's been dispatched so it looks to be on it's way...
  • rockmonkeysc
    I wouldn't use brand x armour. I ordered some, it was a terrible fit with not much to keep the pads where you need them. 661 pressure suits are much better as long as you get one of the better ones.
    I have one of these and it's really good http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=57602
    Build quality could be better but with the help of my mother's sewing skills mine is now in it's third year.
  • The costing for this lot keeps going up in my wish list lol
  • ilovedirt
    I don't bother wearing armour apart from knee pads tbh. Don't see the point in it myself (though you tend to need it more when you're starting out).
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    How can you not see the point in armour? Thats possibly the most stupid comment I have seen.
    My armour has saved me broken ribs a few times and possibly stopped me mashing up my elbows. A few of my friends wont ride without armour after breaking their backs when not wearing it.
    There are some injuries it won't prevent such as broken collar bones and possibly broken arms but it certainly saves gravel rash and cuts and a spine protector is always worth having. I ride with a couple paramedics and they won't ever ride downhill without armour because of injuries they have seen.
  • ilovedirt
    Given how hot armour gets and how most of my downhill riding I am pushing up rather than being on an uplift, I don't injure myself in a way where armour would make much difference often enough to justify the cost, and how hot/immobile on the bike it makes you. I see the point in a spine board, but full body armour, no. Like you said, it won't prevent a broken arm or collar bone, the rest of the time I'll man up and take the risk. If I ever end up in a situation where I'm bleeding severely or something, I'm confident enough in my own first aid skills that I should be alright. I always ride with friends anyway (only one person I know wears armour).
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Just a quick one on armour suits...

Would MX ones be ok to wear? there is a greater range for MX than DH.. (and somewhat cheaper )
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    No.

MX stuff is designed for different speeds/impacts. It will work to a degree but I would go with DH specific stuff if you can.

Personally I ride with elbow and knee pads and a full face helmet on DH courses, I know my limits and on odd occassions exceed them without crashing. I have to say that a back plate and kidney guard would help with where my perceived limits are but I wouldnt bother with more than that.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    MX armour is also largely designed to protect against roost rather than crashing- specifically banned by some race series.
    Uncompromising extremist