Busted spoke on rear wheel is it ok to ride still?

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I have a busted spoke on my rear wheel on my st Swiss 455d wheel and I'm ment to be goin for a ride tomorrow.
Its slightly out of shape but nothing major I have removed the spoke an is getting replaced on Monday
Can I still go?
Will it do more damage?
What will happen erm lol
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wouldn't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    :-(
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• cooldad
    You could just buy a spoke and put it in, easy enough and just need to tension it up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    Lbs is shut plus I'm no good at truing wheels I have tryd but was good

• W00DENT0P
    W00DENT0P Posts: 211
    It'll be fine !!
    If its badly out of true then just loosen the 2 spokes next to the snapped one half a turn each, should bring it back to be being truer.
    For one ride, its not going to come to any harm !!
  • sigorman85
    I don't really wanna miss this ride as few going bit I don't want the wheel to collapse or bend any more il give it ago

• cooldad
    W00DENT0P wrote:
    It'll be fine !!
    If its badly out of true then just loosen the 2 spokes next to the snapped one half a turn each, should bring it back to be being truer.
    For one ride, its not going to come to any harm !!
    You sure? May be fine, may end up as a pretzel.
    Having a missing spoke and loosening the ones next to the gap is a very bad idea.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Wheels are significantly weakened and out of balance with a snapped spoke. The answer is no.
  • W00DENT0P
    Seen plenty of wheels run with busted spokes before without any major probs, had a missing spoke in the front wheel on my own bike for the last few hundred miles without any probs.
    Obviously its not ideal, but i'd be happy to do one ride on it.
  • cooldad
    For somebody offering a wheel building service, you appear to have no idea whatsoever of what gives a spoked wheel it's integrity.
    I wouldn't trust you to build a hamster wheel.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    Oh dear he we go lol

• W00DENT0P
    As already said, its not ideal, but its ONE spoke !
    What would you do if you were out on a ride and noticed you'd bust a spoke ? carry on or push your bike home ? :roll:
    I'll have you know i build a mean hamster wheel !!
    :lol:
  • supersonic
    The chances of it busting are increased many times over. Why go out with a wheel that is significantly weaker? Just isn't worth it.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd never advise people to do it, but I've ridden mine plenty of times for a while with one broken.
  • cooldad
    W00DENT0P wrote:
    As already said, its not ideal, but its ONE spoke !
    What would you do if you were out on a ride and noticed you'd bust a spoke ? carry on or push your bike home ? :roll:
    I'll have you know i build a mean hamster wheel !!
    :lol:
    I'd head back, carefully. I wouldn't advise anyone to go out and ride as usual.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    First sign of a bust spoke on my commuter is the 'ch-ch-ch-ch' of the tyre on the frame, the 10mm clearance has gone.

Seriously bad idea, it puts more load on other spokes and if one of the neighbours go your walking.

I'm sure you know someone who'll have a wheel you can borrow? I allways keep some shonky old wheels I keep spare for such eventualities.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sigorman85
    Borrowing a real wheel ain't that easy rotor change or adapter change free wheel change to be honest it isn't worth it

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Changing the disc and cassette over takes 10 minutes...........compared to ruining a wheel by riding on a bust spoke it is so worth it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sigorman85
    Not when it's some one else's wheel il just give it a miss and wait till next week ... Will prob be raining lol

• sigorman85
    i went and was fine luck i guess

• cooldad
    It wouldn't have made any difference to my answer. But I wouldn't expect you to understand that.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    Ha ha

• supersonic
    If having loose spokes or missing ones made no difference to riding it, then there would be no point in building tight and true wheels. As has been stated, the risk of a catastrophic collapse increases many times over. Doesn't mean it will happen, it is a risk. And one I will not take.
  • sigorman85
    It was ok done 30 miles on it but I wouldn't do it again ... That's just pushing my luck

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Why do so many people come on this place for advice, and then ignore it when it doesn't fit with what they want to hear?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • sigorman85
    Didn't ignore all of the advice a some said it would be ok

• Surely op weighed up all the ADVICE then made his own DECISION ?
  • sigorman85
    Advice. not told what to do. .... Any way had the wheel fixed now spoke and a true £19 ...damn I need to grasp this wheel truing

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I've ridden with spokes missing many times (my old park bike had a couple of missing spokes that i never bothered replacing in the year or so i had it), it's usually fine. Don't take my word for it though.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5