Homemade BBQ smoker project

13»

Comments

• Graham. wrote:
    As a slight aside. I was given some smoked rock salt for Christmas, very nice it was too.
    You could try getting some cheep rock salt and smoking that, I'm sure you could find some space when you're smoking something else. Just a thought. :D

I might give that a go actually. I usually do a batch of almonds whenever I'm smoking anything, but they only take about an hour, so I can re-use the space for some salt, will be interesting to see how it turns out. I bought a frying splatter-guard from Ikea which I altered to be a nut (and salt) basket. Ikea also do very good, cheap meat thermometers - a must to make sure your smoking is safe.

Managed to persuade one of the guys in the office to bring me back a marinade injector from a trip to America, last weekend's pulled-pork was even better and more succulent.

As for smoking in bad weather - I've never tried in large amounts of rain, but so far have managed fine in snow and high winds. Both were fine, but in high winds I had to block off more air flow to keep the temperature low. Rain, in theory, shouldn't be much of a problem either, the fire basket isn't directly below the chimney holes, so the water shouldn't worry the fire too much.

And, ITB, making my smoker took literally minutes - it's a simple and efficient design which leaks a lot less heat and smoke than the cheaper shop bought ones.