Diet plan!!!!

Benz carrera
Benz carrera Posts: 146
edited October 2012 in Health, fitness & training
Hello I am looking to loose weight and build up my fitness level is there a specific diet plan I can use that also relates to mountain biking many thanks

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Someone more knowledgable will give you more details, but one thing I've found that makes a massive difference is to drastically cut down on bread.
    I've been riding to work and back pretty much every day, but my weight was only coming down slowly. As soon as I replaced my usual sarnies with something like pasta, or cous cous with chicken, the weight really started to drop off significantly.
  • I thought pasta would be worse than bread but I will give it ago as I have sarnies every day for wrk so that's gna go lol what u been having with ur pasta? Can I have some e.g of what u been eating please thanks for the reply
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Someone more knowledgable will give you more details, but one thing I've found that makes a massive difference is to drastically cut down on bread.
    I've been riding to work and back pretty much every day, but my weight was only coming down slowly. As soon as I replaced my usual sarnies with something like pasta, or cous cous with chicken, the weight really started to drop off significantly.
    White bread previously by any chance?
    I thought pasta would be worse than bread but I will give it ago as I have sarnies every day for wrk so that's gna go lol what u been having with ur pasta? Can I have some e.g of what u been eating please thanks for the reply
    Brown breads and rices/pastas are closer to being their natural source than white equivalents are (via bleaching processes)

The refining process essentially refines complex carbs(starches) to simple sugars which in turn have a higher GI (IE:spike blood sugar levels rapidly)

All of these are complex carbs(filling,slow energy release, low GI):bananas barley beans brown rice chickpeas lentils nuts oats parsnips potatoe root vegetables sweet corn wholegrain cereals wholemeal breads wholemeal cereals wholemeal flour wholemeal pasta yams.

These are simple(fast blood sugar spikes,generally not filling,highly processed): biscuits pastries and cakes pizzas sugary processed breakfast cereals white bread white flour white pasta white rice.

I'm sure there are plenty more examples and sources via google :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    White bread previously by any chance?
    Yes. I didn't think it would matter, what with riding about 100 miles a week, but it did!

I thought pasta would be worse than bread but I will give it ago as I have sarnies every day for wrk so that's gna go lol what u been having with ur pasta? Can I have some e.g of what u been eating please thanks for the reply
    Well, now I usually get a big pot or two of couscous from Tescos, and some of those packs of chicken bits, and a few peppers. I leave a bottle of sweet chilli sauce in the kitchen at work, so I slice a pepper or two, mix some coucous and chicken in with the pepper, and drizzle some sweet chilli over it. Nice and simple, cheap, and does the job.
    When I cook pasta, I tend to make a bit too much, then keep the rest in a pot to take to work. Sauces can be virtually anything, but generally some kind of home made mashup of whatever I have lying around, like plum sauce, chilli sauce, dab of mayo, maybe some ground ginger, that kind of thing.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Hello I am looking to loose weight and build up my fitness level is there a specific diet plan I can use that also relates to mountain biking many thanks

How much do you weigh? What are you looking to lose? What exercise do you do?

I've lost a load of weight just by eating much more natural food, loads of protein and fewer carbs. Along with mountain biking I do lots of weights so this suits me as I need the protein. As above though avoid refined carbs and eating natural foods is the best basis for any diet.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Yeah, those synthetic foods are bad, huh?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Avoiding processed stuff is sensible.
  • If you want a good balanced diet i can point you in the right direction with a few details from you. As mentioned carbs are not bad but just need to be high in quality, throw away white bread, potato's and pasta and replace with wholemeal bread/pasta and use sweet potato's. Try to only eat 'good' fat from fish and nuts and good quality protein
  • If you want a good balanced diet i can point you in the right direction with a few details from you. As mentioned carbs are not bad but just need to be high in quality, throw away white bread, potato's and pasta and replace with wholemeal bread/pasta and use sweet potato's. Try to only eat 'good' fat from fish and nuts and good quality protein

Brilliant mate what info do u need? I will pm you is there a plan that involves cycling?
  • Not as such, i can provide you a guide on how much of each macro nutrient you should be consuming and energy requirements. Where abouts are you?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I'm going to suggest that the Queen revokes your licence to use apostrophes, on the basis of gross misuse of her language.
  • apolagies im in the navy soon to be a personal trainer. I am defo. not a english teacher!!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You don't really need to be an English teacher to be able to use apostrophes. For some of us, English isn't even our first, or main language, but we get by ok.
  • well apolagies then for not having your wonderfull level of iq :roll:

I was only trying to help people but if my grammer is going to be flamed every time i post i wont waste my time
  • YeehaaMcgee
    It was a tongue in cheek comment. Well, it started off that way anyway, the more defensive you get, the dafter you look.
  • god i can be crabby when im tired :shock: although in fairness what if i was to suffer from dyslexia etc? I dont im just a idiot but the point is you didnt know that and could be making people that do suffer from it feel a bit poop.

Although i can see that were never going to be on each others xmas card list :wink:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    god i can be crabby when im tired :shock: although in fairness what if i was to suffer from dyslexia etc? I dont im just a idiot but the point is you didnt know that and could be making people that do suffer from it feel a bit poop.

Although i can see that were never going to be on each others xmas card list :wink:
    How can you be certain I don't have dyslexia? You may be totally misunderstanding what that means.
  • I miss your point but tbh im not getting into a argument or debate over it as ive got bigger issues to worry about than you potentially putting your foot in it with somebody else plus im happy today as i picked up my new bike and i have a domino's on the way :D
  • What bike u got sammy?