Are pressure washers actually the great Satan?

Greg T
Greg T Posts: 3,266
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
So I watched the "Road to victory" or "Path to Winning" or "Route to leathering the French" or whatever the team Sky Documentary was called..

It was good.

What i did see however was the sky mechanics just hosing down the bikes with pressure washers . . .

Now it may be that they just have so many and strip them down so much that if the bearings fail or they melt in contact with water - they just throw them away or fix them quick enough...

or - and this is my point . .

maybe they think that modern sealed bearings can hack a bit of pressure washing.

Now with winter coming up I'm interested in the hive minds opinion... Bikes will now be crudded up with a weeks use and cleaning a bike in the cold is such a PITA - how many times have I skinned my knuckles on chain rings?

Does anyone actually pressure wash their bikes? Has this lead to immediate gear failure and drama? Or can we (for sealed bearings etc) drop this into the "stuff that isn't true" bin like "factory grease is the best magic grease and never clean your chain" and "don't use detergent it's got salt in it"
Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?

Comments

• UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited October 2012
    My name's Undercover, and I use a pressure washer on my bike.

Have done since I bought one off a mate, works well, but I do avoid going too close to the bearings.
  • Greg T

Has it ever melted or in any other way been compromised do you think?

• Greg T wrote:

Has it ever melted or in any other way been compromised do you think?

Up until yesterday I'd have said no, but having seen the state of the bottom bracket on the snow bike, and having snapped a 1/2 inch drive wrench trying to remove the bugger, I'm no so sure.
  • Greg T
    How long has it been in? I look at BB replacement as a 50/50 chance anyway... The patient will often die on the table anyway . . more than a couple of years and few salty winters and who's to say . .

• Greg T wrote:

Now it may be that they just have so many and strip them down so much that if the bearings fail or they melt in contact with water - they just throw them away or fix them quick enough...

"

^ this
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Please don't establish that pressure washers are OK, because then I might have to buy one and I spend enough on cycling already!
  • Greg T wrote:
    How long has it been in? I look at BB replacement as a 50/50 chance anyway... The patient will often die on the table anyway . . more than a couple of years and few salty winters and who's to say . .
    I'm actually blaming the bike shop I got it from for not treating the frame internally. A couple of winters, and ridden through the worst bits only. My other bikes are fine, though. Much faster.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    [uneducated beardy mechanic]A pressure washer will disolve carbon. The tubing on a steel bike is only a micron thick in places, and it will punch a hole right through. It is literally impossible to re-grease a chain after it has been washed with a pressure washer.[/uneducated beardy mechanic]

Careful use of a pressure washer is fine. Clean the whole bike from something of a distance, avoiding bearings. 2-3ft from the nozzle to the bike.

Up close, keep it away from plastics such as lever hoods, tyre sidewalls, saddle and so on.

Its relatively good for cleaning the chain when its on the big ring, or just as its coming off. If you have bushings on your rear mech, its fine to blast the crud off the jockey wheels and re-lube afterwards. If have sealed bearings, don't do this. Avoid the area of the main bolt holding the mech to the hanger. Flushing crap off the front mech is fine. Clearing the crap off and between the chain rings is fine.

Its less good for cleaning the cassette. You can, sorta, but water gets flushed into the rear hub and freewheel mechanism very easily.

Irritating side effects can include water in your rim. Squeezing past your nipples. Oo-err.
  • Hmm. So if you milk your nipples can you make water dribble out of your rim?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Pressure washers, don't do it folks :evil:
    FCN = 4
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    TBH, though I have one, I've never felt the need to use it on the bike. General crud rinses off with a normal hose and oil needs degreaser. In fact, given the choice again, I don't think I'd bother buying a pressure washer for anything.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Do you ever really need to use it on a bike though? I've got a bunch of muc off brushes of various sizes and that does the jump perfectly.

Pressure washers seem to be overkill to me.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you are careful with them, they are fine. On MTBs, where the whole thing is caked in mud, they are a god send.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Do you ever really need to use it on a bike though?

Probably not with the roadie, but on the mountain bike? Oh hell yes!
  • I never feel the need to let it near my road bike, but careful use on mtb is fair game.

I use the vari wand from Karcher to turn down the pressure. So long as your careful its fine.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    supersonic wrote:
    If you are careful with them, they are fine. On MTBs, where the whole thing is caked in mud, they are a god send.
    +1 but given how far away I am with it, a normal hose would do just as good a job.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I have on the MTB & CX but until today not on a road bike ...what's the worst that could happen?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    My beautiful Orbea is dead...
    2011-03-18082845.jpg

:?

<sratches head and decides to stick to skint knuckles and cold hands>
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yeh not impressed with the results tbh I ended up blasting off the weeks caked in grime then resorting to my usual method

Scalps soaked in the tears of fallen foe, buffed with their pride.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    my name is mudcow007 an i too use a power washer, well actually i use compressed steam from our boiler in work

you should see how fast it gets oil an crude off a chain

my bike hasn't melted yet, i just dont get really close to the paint/ bearings when im cleaning it
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Yesterday I had to use a spanner to scrape the London grime off my crankset and depsite half an hours scrubbing, dirt was still hanging out in the hard to reach spots of my chain... give me a pressure washer any day!