Truvativ Hammerschmidt cranks..keep or remove? Worth having?

appy
appy Posts: 408
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Just ordered a Strive with the Hammersschmidt cranks but i think im going to go single ring at the front or should i keep them?
so couple of questions.

what are they worth to sell on?

Are they easy to maintain and worth the extra weight?

Just found they are 1623g..does that include the specific BB?

Whats a rough weight of single ring, bash guard and crankset?

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    single ring on a strive? sounds wrong, it's made for climbing steep stuff then riding back down fast, i'd keep double front.
  • appy
    Traditional set up or the Hammertime?
    My thinking is that if its not going to be my cup of tea best sell it whilst its new rather than do 200 miles, half its value then sell it.

If i sell it new id be able to get a nice set up in it place i think. Im just worried that if/when it does go wrong it ill cost a packet to repair and ill be struggling for parts and someone to do it.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'm not sure how many people would really want to buy MC hammercranks second hand but you could ebay them. I'd just go to normal double and bash with stinger. I'd find it poor bike choice if you only ever used a single ring on it, as it is meant to be do it all and single ring will be limiting.
  • even if you've never ridden it, it's still a 2nd hand part. You'll only get marginally more for it un-used than you would in a couple of weeks after doing a couple of rides to see if it's for you.

Not many people have them as they are stupid amounts of money. Those that DO have them though, swear by them. I'd personally love one. Not heard of any issues.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    use them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    nicklouse wrote:
    use them.

+ 1 baggy pair of trousers
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • appy
    All good points. I suppose they're under warranty anyway so i should just relax and enjoy them rather than fearing the worst.
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    Use them! I love mine, wouldn't want to go back to a front mech.
  • appy
    Woody80 wrote:
    Use them! I love mine, wouldn't want to go back to a front mech.

how long have you had them Woody?
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    9 months or so. Came on my Strive. Really happy with them. They've not needed any looking after apart from cleaning when I wash the bike normally anyway. They've been absolutely faultless to be fair.

I love the instant gear change even when sat still, like when you've just stopped to catch your breath at the top of a climb and are about to batter down the other side. Loads of ground clearance and no exposed chain ring to slash your leg.