any benefit of X9 over X7 rear mech?

MDobs
MDobs Posts: 167
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I might have to replace the X5 rear mech on my bike after I screwed up the chain length on a new chain I fitted and ended up jamming my mech into the (brand new) cassette. I'm now getting slipping gears, can't set them up properly, the mech is decidedly not in line with the cassette (on the inner most cog the mech catches the spokes even though the high limit screw is fine). There is a gap between the mounting bolt and hanger and I can't seem to tighten it up to get rid of this.

Before I take it in to the LBS to get it looked at is there anything I should try to resolve the problem first? (difficult to answer from the info above I know!)

If I do have to replace the mech what performance benefit is there to an X9 over the X7?

(and is there any benefit to the carbon X7 over the alu other than weight, would it be stronger?)

X7 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41155
X9 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41154

Also, on a related note, which is more important in shifting performance, mech or shifter?

I already run X9 shifters and have heard/read somewhere that it's the shifters that really provide most of the shifting performance as they control what the mech does. This would seem to be confirmed by the list of 'technologies' on the respective parts linked above, as far as I can see the additional ones on the X9 refer to the shifters - matchmaker and zero loss travel.

Comments

• bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    I'd agree, shifters make the difference. I've got X7 shifters and have used X9. The X9 are far better. X7 and X9 mechs are fairly similar in function and smoothness/reliability. The X9 is lighter and that's about it.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Have you tried readjusting the cables and setting your mech up again?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As you set the H stop to stop the upper jockey passing the largest sprocket, for the mech to hit the spokes that is clearly not the case?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    As you set the H stop to stop the upper jockey passing the largest sprocket, for the mech to hit the spokes that is clearly not the case?

it's the bottom of the mech cage which is hitting the spokes, it's that far off straight. the upper jockey wheel is at an angle to the cogs as well.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    check the mech hanger as well as the mech.

Or post clear pics taken from the rear.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    ^^^this
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    I had X7 mechanism and it wore out really quickly (around the mounting bolt), replaced it with X9 that has lasted ages.

X7 body seems to be made of chocolate!
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    spursn17 wrote:
    I had X7 mechanism and it wore out really quickly (around the mounting bolt), replaced it with X9 that has lasted ages.

X7 body seems to be made of chocolate!

My X7 rear mech was good and lasted for 2.5 years and that included a lot of riding (both clean and muddy). I think it is like anything. One person could find it lasts ages and another only a few months.
    I think the X7 is good value (although not as good as my current X0)
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.