Avid Juicy 5's

jim453
jim453 Posts: 1,360
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Here's the thing,

My poor Stumpy is becoming more revived by the day. I'm onto the brakes next. Pads have probably done 3000km or so and the rear one gave up the ghost taking the clip thing with it.

Got some new pads, (budget obviously) and taken the wafer thin old ones out, faffed around with the brake lever 'to watch the pistons coming out' and now I can't get the buggers back in. I don't have a 'stardriver' to undo the bleed valve and don't even know if it would be a good vibe if I undid it anyway. Brute force is not getting the pistons back in though the seals appear to be intact as there's no fluid pi@@ing all over the place.

Suggestions?

LBS?

Shame, I've come so far, seems a shame to go down to the pro's cap in hand at this late stage.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It try some more force, pop the old pads back in first
  • jim453
    Roger that,

I'll have a couple of beers then have a shy at it with a claw hammer.

These brakes appear to have been designed by someone with mental health problems. What's that about?
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    Old pads in, get a sturdy tyre lever and heave away. I tend to find that 60% pressure over 15 or 20 seconds is better than 100% over 2 or 3 seconds. If they're still not budging, set the lever horizontal at the bar and take off the reservoir cap, then try again. It should move much more easily, but be careful about spillage.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    go buy a torx key to fit and release some fluid if they will not go home. in that when pressing one home the other moves out.

note great force should not be needed and make sure yoiu are pressing them in straight or they can jam and not more at all.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jim453 wrote:
    Roger that,

These brakes appear to have been designed by someone with mental health problems. What's that about?

nope they are just as easy as any other brake.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jim453
    nicklouse wrote:
    jim453 wrote:
    Roger that,

nope they are just as easy as any other brake.

Yes, thanks Nick,

All done now anyway, it was a complete ballache.