Hill climbing

oldwasp
oldwasp Posts: 27
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,
I am new to road cycling (4 months) and have just bought a second hand bike. I do not do a lot of steep hill climbing but there is a category 3 climb called Carlton bank which has parts over 20% and one section over 30%. I did not make it to the top on my bike no matter how hard i tried I just did not have the power in my legs. I know 4 months is not long to be cycling but I also play other sports so I consider myself fairly fit.
What I would like to know would I be better changing my setup to a compact or staying with what I've got since I will very rarely climb hills that steep.
Cassette: Shimano 105 10sp, 11-27,
Chain: Mavic 10sp,
Chainset: Shimano 105 double, 172.5 53/39, 5700,

Also, it would be good to know, would it be possible for me to eventually crack that hill with a lot more miles under my belt with the set up I have.

Thanks

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Using a standard double is certainly not making it easy.

A compact 50/34 will definitely help and with 34/27 that you will then have you should be able to tackle most things.

Obviously the more hills (and cycling in general) you do will also help but despite what some may say on here there will not be many who can do 20% plus climbs with a standard double.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Go for a compact chainset 50/34. It will "help" to some extent, but the most important number IMO is your weight. To conquer hills the real asset is less weight, and by that I mean your body weight! No matter how much you pay for a bike's lightness, the rider who is overweight will struggle.

Aim for a 10-10-10% - 10% less weight, 10% more strength and 10% more endurance and then see the improvements.

I know Carlton bank in Yorkshire and it's a B*tard even for fit riders :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • oldwasp
    Thanks for the reply, it is reassurring that it is not just my 45 year old legs that are hampering my climbing
  • I started in Aug 12 and am 43 Simply not doing well on hills but this week discovered the technique to hill climbing with my SPD pedals and how the angle of your foot will effect the use of various muscle groups. In that I now concentrate on keeping my feet flat as opposed to toe down like a sprinter (which is where I used to do ok). I found that my legs worked with concentrated effort several muscle groups in the legs and I settled into a good cadence in the saddle.

Perhaps someone else could explain it better but I'm going to see how I develop with it.
    Don't call me sir I work for a living
  • It's good to have a goal!

It's a measure of your progress too - you'll be able to notice a physical distance further as you get fitter.

There's a hill or two near me that I couldn't do when I first started but now I can and it gives me such a great feeling of accomplishment everytime I crest them now.

Hills are fun eventually! Kudos on the effort! :D
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

http://www.pedalmash.co.uk/
  • It's good to have a goal!

It's a measure of your progress too - you'll be able to notice a physical distance further as you get fitter.

There's a hill or two near me that I couldn't do when I first started but now I can and it gives me such a great feeling of accomplishment everytime I crest them now.

Hills are fun eventually! Kudos on the effort! :D

couldn't agree more, only started 18 months ago, had to get off on many hills, have progressed to completing an Etape and entering hill climb comps! Very rarely now do I need my 34-28,
    In the first 6 months it's simply a matter of riding and riding and riding.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    oldwasp wrote:
    Hi,
    I am new to road cycling (4 months) and have just bought a second hand bike. I do not do a lot of steep hill climbing but there is a category 3 climb called Carlton bank which has parts over 20% and one section over 30%. I did not make it to the top on my bike no matter how hard i tried I just did not have the power in my legs. I know 4 months is not long to be cycling but I also play other sports so I consider myself fairly fit.
    What I would like to know would I be better changing my setup to a compact or staying with what I've got since I will very rarely climb hills that steep.
    Cassette: Shimano 105 10sp, 11-27,
    Chain: Mavic 10sp,
    Chainset: Shimano 105 double, 172.5 53/39, 5700,

Also, it would be good to know, would it be possible for me to eventually crack that hill with a lot more miles under my belt with the set up I have.

Thanks
    Interesting post as I didn't know about Carlton Bank before, but now googled it and it does look tough. I've always had bikes with triple chainsets, but my new carbon bike has a compact chainset (50/34) and an 11-28 cassette at the back. I was initially concerned that I would struggle on very steep hills with even a compact, never mind a standard double. However I managed up a 20% hill the other week easier than I thought on my compact in the 34/28 gear - mainly because it's a much lighter bike that my steel Audax with the triple.

However unless you become a really good climber, I think you will always struggle with a standard 53/39 double on 20% and over hills, so I would recommend changing to a compact if possible.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    That sounds like quite a hill, worse than anything we've got around here. I'm also 45 and started cycling just over a year ago. When I started I had a similar gear set to you and I found the hills really hard going. I still find them hard but satisfying.

A compact front is not that expensive if you've got the money to spare and will make the hills easier without dropping your top speed too much, in fact a compact will help you increase your cadence for longer rides. Fitness will also help, as others have said, weight, strength, technique and stamina will also help.
  • im local to carlton bank and im yet to attempt to climb it although ive gone down it which shows its toughness. how do you get on with clay bank which is local to you also as id start on that then move on to carlton bank. i can get up clay and carlton is my next goal.
  • oldwasp
    Hi
    Only been down clay bank, will have to give that a try, if I can't get up there then I will have to put all the helpful advice togeather to crack the climbs.
  • I live a couple of minutes ride from Carlton bank, when I first started riding it I'd stop for a break at the cattle grid and then the flat carpark bit 2/3 of the way up. I'd ride each section slightly harder each time until, I could attempt it in two bits, then one. Now I can manage it without too much hassle so it does get easier. Getting down in the wet is the hardest part sometimes.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Theres nothing wrong with your set up, I live in quite a hilly area with a lot of sharp climbs and i ride with the same chainset config, i prefer this, and benefit on the decents and flats having that ratio.

The main thing imo is technique, selecting a gear your happy with and stick with the same pace, dont try and change the pace on the hill, you can try to alternate with standing up out of the saddle and sitting down. Its so easy to get up when your legs tell you, but i find it easier to try and stay seated. Having someone else in front of you is good for telling your mind to shut upas well.

Also break the hill up into sections, like look ahead for a bend, and target that, or a tree or something, once reached then look up for the next point.

Its all practice, I come from a MTB background, and climbing when i first started was nightmare, was always getting off the bike. But after a couple of months there is nothing that makes me walk now. It all about practice, getting your breathing right, and not listening to your legs!.. Keep at it, it never gets easier, you just get faster! :wink:
  • Here it is http://app.strava.com/segments/810259

That looks mean.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Here it is http://app.strava.com/segments/810259

That looks mean.

It does indeed!

BTW, how does Strava calculate the power outputs? Or is everyone riding with a power meter these days. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    if it's any consolation, Carlton Bank was used for the National Hill Climb Champs in 1996. It's definitely a leg-ripper.
  • I'm gonna have to go and sort out that 7th place :-(
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    Here it is http://app.strava.com/segments/810259

That looks mean.

It does indeed!

BTW, how does Strava calculate the power outputs? Or is everyone riding with a power meter these days. :)

You mean you don't have a power meter? .... :shock:

It has it's own wacky way of calculating power, not very accurate.
  • oldwasp
    k3vinjam3s wrote:
    im local to carlton bank and im yet to attempt to climb it although ive gone down it which shows its toughness. how do you get on with clay bank which is local to you also as id start on that then move on to carlton bank. i can get up clay and carlton is my next goal.

Tried Clay Bank yesterday, my legs were screaming and I only managed to get 3/4 of the way up. So that will be my goal and I will steer clear of Carlton bank for a year or 2 I think.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    oldwasp wrote:
    k3vinjam3s wrote:
    im local to carlton bank and im yet to attempt to climb it although ive gone down it which shows its toughness. how do you get on with clay bank which is local to you also as id start on that then move on to carlton bank. i can get up clay and carlton is my next goal.

Tried Clay Bank yesterday, my legs were screaming and I only managed to get 3/4 of the way up. So that will be my goal and I will steer clear of Carlton bank for a year or 2 I think.

NO NO dont give up for a year, if you got 3/4, keep doing it, you will be up it within a few weeks i promise!

Mind over matter!!
  • oldwasp
    No i will keep trying with Clay Bank, it is Carlton Bank I am going to steer clear of until I think I have some hope of getting up.
  • oldwasp wrote:
    k3vinjam3s wrote:

You will get up there in no time. A good route around there is to go up clay, follow through to chop gate then take a right which leads to the top of Carlton bank. Then enjoy the descent.
  • Tonight I tamed Clay Bank. I think it helped that it was very dark so I was not defeated by how steep the hill was as I could not see it. Then I took advice from here and used the road markers along the edge of the grass verge as points to reach.
    Carlton Bank next, maybe after a lot more miles and getting my 45 year old body below 13st 4lbs
  • oldwasp wrote:
    Tonight I tamed Clay Bank. I think it helped that it was very dark so I was not defeated by how steep the hill was as I could not see it. Then I took advice from here and used the road markers along the edge of the grass verge as points to reach.
    Carlton Bank next, maybe after a lot more miles and getting my 45 year old body below 13st 4lbs

There you go. It's fairly straightforward really, as simple as the more you climb, the better you'll climb. I've recently been defeated on hills I used to storm up a few years ago following a four year break, but I'm slowly getting there again and by the spring I hope to be back to some sort of level close to what I was some 7 years back. Just keep climbing and you'll nail the bigger one in no time at all.
  • Just been reading the posts on this thread, all good advice, completely agree with the previous comment.
    DO NOT GIVE UP ON A HILL!

The set up can always be better but the hill will never change, practice, practice, practice. 75% of the climb is a great start. The more experience on a bike and general riding will improve your cycling ability no ends.

I'm a bit of a sucker for hill climbs and try and conquer anything on my singlespeed. Keep at it! Once you get to the top without stopping don't stop, whatever goes up most come down!!!!!