Halfords are having a laugh.

gerroffandmilkit
gerroffandmilkit Posts: 160
edited October 2012 in Road general
Surfing the net (as usual) on the look out for a decent bike to buy and I came across this little nugget on the Halfords website.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_810691_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

Check out the new price for a Carerra TDF!!!! What????? Are they having a laugh?

Comments

• You're not supposed to buy it now. They just put it up at that price now so they can say there is a big discount when it is put down to its normal price in the run up to christmas.
  • Presume they're planning on selling off the Virtuoso then, they haven't increased and have a much better spec.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Tis the usual marketing pricing. In a couple of weeks time it will be advertised at "£200 off!!!" for £299. In order to be able to say that, they have to actually advertise it at the higher price for a period of time.

Happens all over the place.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    11.7KG....No danger of you floating off into space then.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    in my local halfords its still £329..asked why was 499 on web manager said he didnt know as hadn,t been to told about it..
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • steel42
    steel42 Posts: 49
    Just screamed like a little girl and shot coke out of my nose, thanks :evil:
  • steel42 wrote:

Isn't it meant to go up the nose? :twisted:
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    astrazen wrote:
    steel42 wrote:

Isn't it meant to go up the nose? :twisted:

Don't the ice cubes get stuck? :oops:
  • Think it might have something to do with them doing a 'Limited Edition' bike with lower spec at the usual TdF price:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65710#tab1
    at £300 the TdF is a decent bike. At £500 its a rip-off!
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Guanajuato wrote:
    Think it might have something to do with them doing a 'Limited Edition' bike with lower spec at the usual TdF price:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65710#tab1
    at £300 the TdF is a decent bike. At £500 its a rip-off!
    Jeez dont you read the rest of the thread, as someone has already pointed out it is so that they can offer it as a "Special Offer" at £300, quoting £200 off previously advertised prices!!!
    There is no accouting for stupidity
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    The side effect is that they won't sell many (if at all) at £499, so they will have plenty of stock when they "special offer" them, will sell sh!tloads and still make money on them.

It's purely to keep within the advertising laws, every big chain in particular does the same no matter what they sell.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Shiiiiit I have this bike and there is no way on this earth that it is worth £400. An absalute rip off, I got it for £299 in the sale and I feel that was a good price.

Another fine mess
    Don't call me sir I work for a living
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    edited October 2012
    Shiiiiit I have this bike and there is no way on this earth that it is worth £400. An absalute rip off, I got it for £299 in the sale and I feel that was a good price.

Another fine mess
    Read the thread FFS £299 is the actual selling price, but they like to make you think you are getting a sale bargain, so the law dicatates that it must have been on sale for 14 consecutive days at a hgher price to be offered at a sale price at a later date, AS HAS ALREADY BEEN SAID!
    There fore they are currently fulfilling their legal obligation by offering it at higher price before they offer it at a Sale price in the run up to christmas
  • I have the 2010 version I was unable to find any difference in them.
    Oh apart from there is a carrera badge on the 2012 bike, just below the handlebars.
    Got mine from eBay a week ago for £160.