Office phones on speaker

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Rude or not?

Drives me flipping nuts. Personally I find it really rude and there are a couple of guys here who repeatedly have the fecking things on speaker when it's ringing, the blasted automated voice system is talking, or they are on hold.

I may get postal very soon.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Rude.
  • Rude or not?

Drives me flipping nuts. Personally I find it really rude and there are a couple of guys here who repeatedly have the fecking things on speaker when it's ringing, the blasted automated voice system is talking, or they are on hold.

Rude... lets also add people who leave their mobile on loud when they come into the office... I don't want to hear circa 1996 Bart Simpson telling the world not to have a cow. Thinking about buying a cell jammer :P
  • snot rocket on the next pass of there desk?

Have the same here, frustrations of working in an open plan office...
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Rude .... every right to go postal.

Also, don't mention people eating with their mouths open. :twisted:
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    There's a woman in my office that sometimes just has it on speaker when she's talking to people. Odd and a bit annoying.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    The boss was on hold to Computer Associates last week for an hour, speaker phone blaring hold music out. Hold music was a 9 second (I timed it) funk loop which didn't even loop properly.

Being a musician, this was torture.

I told the boss repeatedly how painful it was, but I guess he thought I was being funny so just carried on. I think he realised after a while how angry it was making me, so gingerly turned it down and waited for me to be away from my desk before he called them again.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Rude.
    Occasionally allowable if there needs to be a number of people listening (in an emergency type situation).

Team near me gather round for every call they get .... just to look busy.
    exercise.png
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i hate it!!

especially when you phone someone an you hear the click of being put on speaker grr

i might disable it all on ours....that'll teach em
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Reminds me of an anecdote.
    I was working for an advertising company in the early 90's when we had a new phone system installed.
    You could dial an extension and 'force it' to speaker without the recipient needing to pick up, so when we got wind of this, we would dial others with their nick names and then hang up.
    So, the office calm would be punctuated with "Fagin!" or "Snatcher!" or "Bamber!" (mine)
    Took a couple of days for management to cotton on and make the necessary adjustments.
    Ah, those halcyon days......
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Doesn't bother me. Phones are designed to ring and in this age of digital-multimedia, things are allowed to make noises. I cannot stand quiet offices where the only audible noises are peoples fingers stabbing away at keyboards.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • mudcow007
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Doesn't bother me. Phones are designed to ring and in this age of digital-multimedia, things are allowed to make noises. I cannot stand quiet offices where the only audible noises are peoples fingers stabbing away at keyboards.

ahh your offices mustn't be like ours then where we have about 30+ 40something women chatting away, its like an episode of loose women
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    mudcow007 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

ahh your offices mustn't be like ours then where we have about 30+ 40something women chatting away, its like an episode of loose women
    I like it when they fight and argue. Watching to grown 40something women argue over whether a window should be open or closed was amazing! They were actually opening and slamming the window, teeth glaring and everything!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • People conducting speakerphone conference calls at desks near me tends to bring on my Tourettes. It's unfortunate but there's nothing I can do.
  • mudcow007
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I like it when they fight and argue. Watching to grown 40something women argue over whether a window should be open or closed was amazing! They were actually opening and slamming the window, teeth glaring and everything!

funnily enough

we have a hot end of the sales room an cool end. the women swap an change on a daily basis where they sit
  • mudcow007
    People conducting speakerphone conference calls at desks near me tends to bring on my Tourettes. It's unfortunate but there's nothing I can do.

get your mobile to download data (so its sending an receiving loads) an put your mobile by the speaker phone

the interference from your phone will distort their call

winds people up something ruthless
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Rude or not?

Rude, but a great opportunity for an office joke. If they listen to voice-mail on speaker (one of my pet hates), call them and leave a message "Mr X, your order of butt-plugs, anal lube, latex masks and luxury leather whips has just been dispatched and will be arriving shortly" or "Mr X, this the <local hospital> with your test results for <insert your suitably embarassing condition here>. Please note you are in the contagious phase and should call us immediately for containment advice". You get the idea :twisted: Even better if you can tape the "hook" under the receiver down so that they can't quickly stop the message by picking up the receiver. Which is a great joke in itself.

Or just tell them its loud and disruptive. I had a simple, polite conversation with a colleague about this and its not been a problem since then.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Who the f*ck does that?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Who the f*ck does that?

Me, unfortunately.

We don't have enough conference lines and if I'm kicking off a Dev story with the Indian Dev team and I need me, lead test and lead Dev in London and a Dev and test in India.

Am trying to get them fork out for Skype premium licence but the off site Dev team can't get Skype on their network.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It really depends what you have to do. I have to concentrate and account for most of my working day. Lots of technical documents and I get paid to think through them and psychically devine clients' wishes.

If a group of chimps are getting excited and throwing sh1t at each other at the other end of the office, I have to shut the door. That's why I have my own office, I suppose. I couldn't do my job without one.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Asprilla wrote:
    Who the f*ck does that?

Me, unfortunately.

We don't have enough conference lines and if I'm kicking off a Dev story with the Indian Dev team and I need me, lead test and lead Dev in London and a Dev and test in India.

Am trying to get them fork out for Skype premium licence but the off site Dev team can't get Skype on their network.

Why can't you either do it on a handset rather than hands free or find a room to do it away from everyone else?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Asprilla wrote:
    Who the f*ck does that?

Me, unfortunately.

Why can't you either do it on a handset rather than hands free or find a room to do it away from everyone else?

Three attendees in the UK office with no conference line. I dunno about where you work but I've never worked anywhere with enough meeting rooms that they are available without booking days in advance.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX