Hayes MX-? brakes on Big RR 5.3

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,485
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
According to the Decathlon website, the Big RR 5.3 has "HAYES MX5 disc brakes". I can't see any branding on them myself.

I emailed customer service from Hayes as I couldn't find the MX5 part listed on their site - they had MX1 through to 4, but not 5.

They sent back to me (after a bit of too-ing and fro-ing) a pdf for adjustments to an MX2 brake.

On reading it, it does seem more or less the same as the brake on my Big RR. Just thinking ahead to when I need new pads (probably a good way off!!) I can only seem to find pads that fit MX2 brakes.

I suppose my question is, do Hayes MX5 brakes exist, or is this likely a typo on the decathlon site and they are really MX2 brakes?

Cheers!

Matt
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• CRC had MX5s for sale at one point so presumably do pads too, I had them on my 6.3 and they are pretty tame at stopping me (14stone) with 160mm rotors. I gave them a chnace to bed in, and set them up as per any other cable disc brake that I have had, 180mm rotors would offer improvement but by the time you buy the adaptors and rotors you are well on the way towards funding better brakes. Wear out the pads and buy some better brakes if you can, I have SLXs now and it is like night and day compared to the MX5s
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    And now (doh!) I find them on the Hayes website.

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/brakes/mechanical/mx5/

Don't know why I didn't find that sooner. Anyway, it still doesn't help as it doesn't list parts for the MX5 nor does it have the right manuals on the product page. Hey ho, you're probably right about a full U/G if I get to the start of wearing things out.

Matt
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    The only parts that will most likely need replacing is the pads, the MX-5 uses the same pads as the MX-3, MX-3 and MX-4.

The MX-5 is basically a new version of the MX-2, MX-3 and MX-4.

Apart from the cosmetic changes to the caliper shape, the only real difference between the MX-5 and the MX-2, MX-3, MX-4 is that it has a barrel adjuster on it like the MX-1 / HMX-1 has.

The major difference between the MX-1 / HMX-1 and the other MX models is that it uses larger pads.

What the barrel adjuster does:
    14. Adjust the amount of lever travel by turning the adjuster barrel at your lever.
    Note: With the MX-1 you may use the adjuster barrel on the caliper to adjust lever travel.
    That was from the MX-1 Installation Guide:
    http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/wp-content/themes/hdb/pdf/MX-1Install45-15216D4LangEnglish.pdf

If Hayes had a Installation Guide for the MX-5 it probably wouldn't give you any more info then what's in the guides for the MX-2 and MX-1.