Shimano triple crankset M770/M771

Tjones27
Tjones27 Posts: 54
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I'm looking at upgrading a few parts on MTB and I'm struggling to find a difference between the Shimano crankset M770 and the M771 apart from the M770 is £30 more expensive?!?! does anybody have a reasonable explanation for this??

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is all on shimanos webby.

One is for touring and has a trouser protector and larger rings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I don't think that's the case. I think one has all the rings bigger by 2-4 teeth each something like 26-36-48
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I don't think that's the case. I think one has all the rings bigger by 2-4 teeth each something like 26-36-48
    go look at shimanos webby.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So it has rings that are all larger, but you disagree it has larger rings - well I never!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    So it has rings that are all larger, but you disagree it has larger rings - well I never!

This.
  • Chunkers1980

The power of being a mod I suppose. notice the 2 ands, the bigger rings was added after and is the main difference.

I'll conceed on the trouser protector, but it is not touring, it is MTB, XT touring is only recent.
  • Hi guys, thanks for the sup[er fast responses, and yep on much closer inspection of the spec. for both. the M771 has 4 axtra teeth per ring. and thats about it really, and yet this is the less expensive one.

I'm looking at getting a complete set of XT components for the drive train, but does anyone else have any other recommendations for other equipment. I qould go XTR, but the cost is just far too much for the difference in weight and materials, especially for what i use it for!

I'm going to get the Chris King bottom bracket for the crankset anyway so the BB isnt an issue, i just want good precision components that i know are going to last.

cheers
  • Chunkers1980
    You're buying a CK BB yet the 30 pounds cheaper crank is luring you? BTW - they come with a BB.

It's cheaper as it doesn't have what would be deemed as the best ratios for its use - ie XC, not touring.
  • I know, its a weird logic, but in my mind i know that the BB will last longer than the crank. Ah that makes sense. I was aware that they came with a BB, ive already got the Shimano deore crankset with the BB, but ive already had to replace the BB, so going all out and getting what i deem is the best. I was looking at Hope, but for a similar price CK i feel is far superior.

Thanks for the info though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you had the BB Shell faced, even a CK BB won't survive long running out of true!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    FC-M770 has the fancy composite middle ring where as the M771 has an alloy middle ring.

FC-M771 is a trekking / touring chainset, no-one uses big rings for XC.