Drafting people whilst running a mad strong front light

Greg T
Greg T Posts: 3,266
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Don't do it . . to me . . . can't see a fecking thing when I shoulder check behind me - bar some drafting fairy wearing the sun on his handlebars
Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    buy a District 3

Put it on the BRIGHT setting

No one will come within 50' of you for fear of burning...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • buy a District 3

Put it on the BRIGHT setting

No one will come within 50' of you for fear of burning...

LOL! +1
  • Spotted a cyclist about a half a mile away when waiting at a junction, only spotted him because of his crazy super bright light. No idea what is was, was completely blinding tho and flashing... I can see the Daily Mail picking this issue up in a couple of months.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Spotted a cyclist about a half a mile away when waiting at a junction, only spotted him because of his crazy super bright light. No idea what is was, was completely blinding tho and flashing... I can see the Daily Mail picking this issue up in a couple of months.

Now they're cheap - everyone's gettin 'em...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XML-XM-L ... 20c5013dc9

they used to be £100 ( 18mths/2yrs ago); now less than £30 :shock:

You can spot them a mile off...literally!
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Greg T wrote:
    Don't do it . . to me . . . can't see a fecking thing when I shoulder check behind me - bar some drafting fairy wearing the sun on his handlebars
    Slow down and wait for them to overtake. Or, if you're feeling nasty, slam your anchors on, while enjoying the sound
    of them trying to avoid you and ending up in a heap in the middle of the road.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Spotted a cyclist about a half a mile away when waiting at a junction, only spotted him because of his crazy super bright light. No idea what is was, was completely blinding tho and flashing... I can see the Daily Mail picking this issue up in a couple of months.
    Why is it car headlights, which are brighter than most if not all bicycle lights, are never considered an issue?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Why is it car headlights, which are brighter than most if not all bicycle lights, are never considered an issue?

I think it might be to do with the position of the light. Car lights tend to be lower and dipped, where as bike lights are high and tend to point straight ahead. Cycling through RP in the dark you do get alot more glare from bike lights than cars.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Because car headlight beams are at a set angle that is not likely to give you a straight shot in the eyeball, whereas cyclists clap the headlights on their handlebars any old way, too often without thought to the fact that zapping someone directly in the eyes with 3000 lumens isn't going to win you many friends
  • De Sisti wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Slow down and wait for them to overtake. Or, if you're feeling nasty, slam your anchors on, while enjoying the sound
    of them trying to avoid you and ending up in a heap in the middle of the road.

sounds like a great idea to me :roll:

maybe they'ce caught up to a slower rider, and just catching a breath before passing? pointless overtaking if you can't keep up momentum and end up holding someone up. had the same problem on ride home from work other night, guy in front riding slower than me, i caught, initially couldnt pass due to traffic, he slowed more and more due to checking over his shoulder repeatidly after seeing my light. Hardly my fault.
  • I find a well directed snot-rocket is very effective at keeping drafters at bay
    I can see the Daily Mail picking this issue up in a couple of months.

Nah, it'll be fine if you are using a bright white light. The Daily Mail will only complain if the light is coloured :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Well don't know about you but it's generally the cars I'm looking out for when I look over my shoulder, so being able to see them (or their lights) is a bonus. Maybe my neck isn't owl like enough to enable me to cop the full force of it?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Because car headlight beams are at a set angle that is not likely to give you a straight shot in the eyeball, whereas cyclists clap the headlights on their handlebars any old way, too often without thought to the fact that zapping someone directly in the eyes with 3000 lumens isn't going to win you many friends

Although plenty of car drivers seem to drive around London on full beam or with fog lights on....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I find a well directed snot-rocket is very effective at keeping drafters at bay
    I can see the Daily Mail picking this issue up in a couple of months.

Nah, it'll be fine if you are using a bright white light. The Daily Mail will only complain if the light is coloured :wink:

also, disgusting. may as well spit on someone as they ride past.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    3000 lumens whether dipped or not - and in London they are very rarely dipped - will always be brighter than the 1800 lumens given in the link above.

People never complain about car lights but do about bicycle lights.

My only conclusion for this is that they lights often flash and draw more distracting attention or are focused into a finer beam that appears brighter. But on the face of it cars put out often more than double to lumens a bicycle light does so there shouldn't be any issue, unless you are placed in a situation that Greg described.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    also, disgusting. may as well spit on someone as they ride past.

If they're riding past there is no issue!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Greg T
    maybe they'ce caught up to a slower rider, and just catching a breath before passing?

Ram it...

This guy was hanging on for dear life.

Next time I'm going to say something

• your right, but I'm saying if you purposely clear your nose when someones behind - i.e whilst there waiting for a gap in traffic to pass, its no better than spitting on them as they ride past. both are equally disgusting and unnessecary.
  • Greg T wrote:
    maybe they'ce caught up to a slower rider, and just catching a breath before passing?

Ram it...

This guy was hanging on for dear life.

Next time I'm going to say something

:lol: like what?
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    DDD,

There are three issues that make bright bike lights particularly dazzling even though their absolute output may be lower than car lights
    1) most of them are really just high powered torches - they have a tight, round spot of intense light. Car lights spread their power across a broad area, power per square meter illuminated may be very high for a bike light and if its focused on your eye ball...
    2) car lights are generally dipped (top off beam chopped off). Even if angled down, a torch type beam will still spill a fair amount of light upwards into the eyes
    3) bike lights are often used flashing - this is a GOOD THING with low powered lights and a VERY BAD THING with high powered lights. Your pupil dilation cant react fast enough to the strobe so just when your pupils have adjusted to being dazzled its gone dark so they open up fully ready to be zapped again

Kinda obvious isnt it?
  • pangolin
    Like learn how quotes work? Or I will find you and spit on you as I ride past.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • the_prophet - sneeze be upon him
  • for the quoting - i apologise, it seems the "quote" button merely adds text you want to quote, but doesnt format it.

for my views on "snot rockets" and people getting upset by others following, regardless of circumstance I don't. if they are drafting, and hanging on for dear life, let them go / ignore them / drop them. not hard and hardly worth getting upset about, its going to happen.
  • the_prophet - easiest way to quote is to use the quote button in the message of the person you want to quote, then chop out what you don't need. Formatting is taken care of automatically.

Re snot-rockets - I think we are mostly joking :wink:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    the_prophet - easiest way to quote is to use the quote button in the message of the person you want to quote, then chop out what you don't need. Formatting is taken care of automatically.

Re snot-rockets - I think we are mostly joking :wink:

Yeah. Don't get snotty
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pangolin
    for the quoting - i apologise, it seems the "quote" button merely adds text you want to quote, but doesnt format it.

for my views on "snot rockets" and people getting upset by others following, regardless of circumstance I don't. if they are drafting, and hanging on for dear life, let them go / ignore them / drop them. not hard and hardly worth getting upset about, its going to happen.

Not a problem till you genuinely have to brake hard and they plough into the back of you.

Have had this happen twice. Once I stopped for a red, he didn't, and broke my rear mudguard. Pointedly ignored me shouting at him and he rode off, I had to wait while I fixed it.

Second time I stopped when a ped nearly stepped out. Cue screeching and shouting from behind me. If you can't brake fast enough, don't draft random people.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Anyone spitting or snot rocketing at me is going to help me discover how many CO2 cylinders will fit in the anus of an unwilling subject. Just saying.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Pangolin - point taken, wasnt thinking about stopping / starting was thinking along lines of lights flickering around when travelling at a decent pace. But yes, anyone who's following that closely in the dark, whilst filtering etc should back off. without the prompting of a snot rocket.

wbw - thanks for that! :oops:

Having had someone eject a nose full in my direction earlier in the week, done without a shoulder check, it's a sore point for me. and for the record, there was no drafting involved, I was closing at speed on a single carriage way road without traffic.
  • Greg T
    Pangolin - point taken, wasnt thinking about stopping / starting was thinking along lines of lights flickering around when travelling at a decent pace.

I don't mind flickering around, I don't mind fairies that much. I mind very much not being able to see behind me as I'm blinded by the light of my shadow. It's a bit rude riding up someone's arse and blinding them at the same time...

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    SimonAH wrote:
    Anyone spitting or snot rocketing at me is going to help me discover how many CO2 cylinders will fit in the anus of an unwilling subject. Just saying.

How are you going to get their leg through the spokes when you need to reinflate a tyre? You've not though this through.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Greg T wrote:
    Pangolin - point taken, wasnt thinking about stopping / starting was thinking along lines of lights flickering around when travelling at a decent pace.

I don't mind flickering around, I don't mind fairies that much. I mind very much not being able to see behind me as I'm blinded by the light of my shadow. It's a bit rude riding up someone's ars* and blinding them at the same time...

It's their way of telling you you need to MTFU and pedal faster.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?