Considering upgrade for 8 speed chainset

antonyfromoz
antonyfromoz Posts: 482
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Gary Fisher Wahoo disc running 8 speed shimano which is generally used for a bit of light XC and riding with my kids etc (so no hard use) and, after deciding to swap the standard chain out as I am not happy with it, I was wondering if there is much to be gained by swapping out the current square taper steel ringed chainset for something a bit better. I don't want to spend too much on the bike as I don't ride it too often but if there are any recommended chainsets that are compabible and inexpensive then I would be interested hearing about them...

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It's a system, no point in changing it until it is worn out. Either the BB or the rings, even then it is debatable.
  • Thank you for the reply - I thought that might be the case but wanted to ask the question because when I was looking at chains I had noticed that some of the Shimano Deore chainsets (usually 9 speed) were not too expensive. Any improvement in weight would be good for a start.
  • Chunkers1980
    Yes, they are good, but not worth it until a part wears out.

The 9 speed is fine with 8spd stuff. But you need to factor in frame facing and fitting and one of the tools will prob be one use if you DIY.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Thank you for the reply - I thought that might be the case but wanted to ask the question because when I was looking at chains I had noticed that some of the Shimano Deore chainsets (usually 9 speed) were not too expensive. Any improvement in weight would be good for a start.
    if external bearing you will need your BB shell faced. and the bearings will not last as long.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wouldn't bother, unless it needs replacing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only thing worth considering is if you have a low end one piece crankset, getting (used when it will cost you sub a tenner) one with removeable rings, there is usually a useful saving there.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thank you all for your replies - I'll fit the new chain (when it arrives) and just have to get out and ride more so parts need replacing to justify the upgrade then! :D
  • Chunkers1980
    Oh, I thought you'd changed the chain already.

Putting a new chain may mean it now slips on the rear and or the front with the new chain. What was up with the old one?
  • It just seemed to rust and links locked up no matter how I cleaned/oiled it - and this is a bike that is really not worked hard or in lots of mud. The chains on my other bikes are treated the same (and the road bike is ridden much more often and in more rain) but they are fine. I think this must just be a really cheap chain that came as standard on the bike. I have ordered an 8 speed KMC chain from Wiggle to replace it - and the cranks and cassette have not done anywhere near enough miles to be worn out yet so it should be fine in that regard.