Right, SPDs are good enough for Obree.....

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
So why should I go to Speedplay / Time etc?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    A more stable platform is about the only answer that i have had when asking that question.

And I think that's b0ll0cks too if you have stiff soles.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    daviesee wrote:
    A more stable platform is about the only answer that i have had when asking that question.

And I think that's b0ll0cks too if you have stiff soles.

As a long-term SPD user, I decided to try SPD-SLs and was quite impressed by the additional lateral support they provided. Your feet are less likely to twist down on the outside edges. It's not a big deal and it might depend upon the size of your feet. My shoes for both are very stiff (Sidi Dragons on the SPDs and Spesh S-Works on the SLs) so I don't think that has a major influence. For commuting, I don't think it's worth the bother because the advantages of SPD cleats outweigh the advantages of SLs. For long (multi-day in particular) road rides, I do think SLs are worth it. If you need robustness and reliability the SPDs are best
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • What SPD pedals are you using?

I've got both A520 and M520 and the A520s have a much bigger platform (while still looking as much like a road pedal as any SPD out there). Don't get hotspots in the same way as the M520s and I just seem to have a lot more support.

I'm sure that going SPD-SL or Speedplay would be as different again but I'll get round to that one day.

Ultimately I think it comes down to the stiffness of the sole and foot retention system.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I prefer Speedplays due to the amount of Float you can dial in/out. I always got knee pain in the left leg due to a dodgy knee. Even after a proper fit. Switched to Speedplays and it all dissapeared. Worth the money for me :)
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    SimonAH wrote:
    So why should I go to Speedplay / Time etc?

Have you seen the clip of him nearly missing selection for the worlds due to his foot popping out at the start of the individual pursuit (national champs)?