Power Meter, what is your view?

pcandyhk
pcandyhk Posts: 40
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I am doing a Design Making and Testing project (Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College) on a (low-cost) Power Meter for bikes. Here is a short survey for the initial design stage. Can you please fill the survey at the link below?
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YWQ6LLR

It does not matter if you are not racing nor have any experience with any cycling computers etc. We are looking to build one that's reasonable price, as the products in the markets now are generally very expensive!

Your input is very important and would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Andy

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    You'll probably get more interest in power meters if you post in Commuting Chat. O
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Done.

Power is just a function of torque and speed so I never know why power meters are so expensive. Surely a torque sensor teamed with a cadence meter could do the job.
  • Asprilla wrote:
    You'll probably get more interest in power meters if you post in Commuting Chat. O

Not sure whether my post would get banned if I post again at Commuting Chat?? :?
  • JamesB5446 wrote:
    Done.

Power is just a function of torque and speed so I never know why power meters are so expensive. Surely a torque sensor teamed with a cadence meter could do the job.

One of the reason, probably... Because so many companies already got Patent the torque measuring device/design, so called 'innovation' :x , and stop everyone else doing the same way.