Power Meter, your view is needed!

pcandyhk
pcandyhk Posts: 40
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Hi all,

I am doing a Design Making and Testing project (Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College) on a Power Meter for bikes. Here is a short survey for the initial design stage. Can you please fill the survey at the link below?
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YWQ6LLR

Your input is very important and would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Andy

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I know I have a megatron of power so don't need one.

Suggest you ask the dark side
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

Suggest you ask the dark side
    + spuds.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • What is a power meter?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What they said, but if you are going to try and do a survey, think about what you are asking first. And get someone literate to proofread the questions.

Plus

10. Are you aware that any of your devices are compatible with the ANT+ standard?

Huh what?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • What is a power meter?
  • cooldad
    What is a power meter?
    What a stupid question. You are obviously not an alien racing snake.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    What is a power meter?
    This.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    What they said, but if you are going to try and do a survey, think about what you are asking first. And get someone literate to proofread the questions.

Plus

10. Are you aware that any of your devices are compatible with the ANT+ standard?

Huh what?

Thanks for your input.
    Any problem with the survey please point it out. My team will amend that ASAP.
    If you don't understand Q10, that means 'NO'.
  • Thank you everyone's inputs and replies. Much appreciated!
  • Done... not all of us are luddite mud monkeys
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Done.

+1, the question makes perfect sense in your defence.

My criticism would be that 'not bothered' is quite a strong term - from where you've placed it it's between 'quite low' and 'quite high' in your order, but I'd say "not bothered" is the lowest, ie its not something you look for at all. I'd have thought 'neither high nor low' or something would be a better term for that middle ground.
  • Chunkers1980
    I don't think it making sense was actually in question.

What is in question is the need for a power meter in MTB, save for the top XC racers, but they are more roadies in mind anyway IMO.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    What is in question is the need for a power meter in MTB.

Do you think that could be one of the reasons for the survey.... :wink:
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • njee20
    It says it's a power meter for bikes. I don't use (or think it would be particularly beneficial to have) a power meter on my MTB, but I have one on the road bike, and I benefit from the increased fitness on any bike. When I ride at least.
    What is in question is the need for a power meter in MTB, save for the top XC racers, but they are more roadies in mind anyway IMO.

How many do you know, and what exactly does it mean to be 'roadie in mind'?
  • Chunkers1980
    Anyone who has a power meter is interested in getting from A to B as fast as they can at some point, just like XC racers. When I say roadies, I mean road racers, not people who enjoy it as a leisure activity.
  • Chunkers1980
    pilch wrote:

Oh yes, hence why in the first post I pointed him to a forum where people care about that sort of stuff.
  • njee20
    Anyone who has a power meter is interested in getting from A to B as fast as they can at some point, just like XC racers. When I say roadies, I mean road racers, not people who enjoy it as a leisure activity.

That makes no sense. XC racers, road racers, Enduro, DH, Formula 1, WRC and ski racers want to get from A to B as quickly as possible, that's what racing is. People who spend £1000+ on equipment to help them train but don't race are just a little odd. Plenty of DH racers using power meters these days, it's the gold standard on how to quantify training effort and maximise training efficiency.
  • Chunkers1980
    OK yes should've caveat a bit. Where power is needed most i.e. flat or uphill. EDIT: Your odd people too.

DH racers do want to go as fast as they can at some point.
  • njee20
    Which is achieved primarily through an application of as much power as possible... the power requirements for XC and road racing are really different, so it's a moot point.

Power meter on DH bike...

quarq-main.jpg

• What is in question is the need for a power meter in MTB, save for the top XC racers, but they are more roadies in mind anyway IMO.

What, you mean they actually ride hard uphill rather than twiddle stupid little gears, average more than 8 kph on a ride and don't feel the need to have a rest and a natter after any slight incline?
  • Chunkers1980
    That's the one. You missed cake though.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134

What, you mean they actually ride hard uphill rather than twiddle stupid little gears, average more than 8 kph on a ride and don't feel the need to have a rest and a natter after any slight incline?

This is by far the most important post of this entire thread.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Done.

+1, the question makes perfect sense in your defence.

My criticism would be that 'not bothered' is quite a strong term - from where you've placed it it's between 'quite low' and 'quite high' in your order, but I'd say "not bothered" is the lowest, ie its not something you look for at all. I'd have thought 'neither high nor low' or something would be a better term for that middle ground.

Good point. This is written by one of the teammates... Anyway! I have modified that to 'Neither high nor low'.
    Thank you for your input. ;)
  • pilch wrote:

Oh yes, hence why in the first post I pointed him to a forum where people care about that sort of stuff.

We want all sorts of comment, even people that do not care! (Non-skewed data)
    We can therefore get a bit more understanding of the market share for power meter/power measuring function for a cycling computer. 8)
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Done. Nice easy survey...

I don't use a power meter... But i would if it wasn't ridiculously expensive..

However 25 - 40 age range??? I don't wanna be lumped with the wrinklies thank you very much!! ;)
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • cooldad
    Rushmore wrote:
    Done. Nice easy survey...

I don't use a power meter... But i would if it wasn't ridiculously expensive..

However 25 - 40 age range??? I don't wanna be lumped with the wrinklies thank you very much!! ;)
    As I am well above that range, all I can say is fark off.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Done

To be honest 250+ is way too low! Most SRM/Quarq esque things go for 1000+. I might spend 2-300 pounds (garmin edge type money), but 1000? Never.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Done

To be honest 250+ is way too low! Most SRM/Quarq esque things go for 1000+. I might spend 2-300 pounds (garmin edge type money), but 1000? Never.

True in one way. In another prospective, for example, One garmin last at last a few years, and the question is asking 'in the last 12 months'. Accessories can often can be re-use even one gets a new bike. :wink:

Our project is looking to build a sub 200 pounds power meter (app/cycling computer...), so if one is willing to spend that amount of money, thats enough to justify our project aim.

Thanks for your input! :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Sorry, I mean as a price range option....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    njee20 wrote:
    It says it's a power meter for bikes. I don't use (or think it would be particularly beneficial to have) a power meter on my MTB, but I have one on the road bike, and I benefit from the increased fitness on any bike. When I ride at least.

How many do you know, and what exactly does it mean to be 'roadie in mind'?
    I run Quarq's and a Powertap on my road bikes, but nowt on the MTB (yet! :oops: ).
    Not sure about any training benefit with one fitted to an MTB, but when you know your data, they can certainly help you avoid 'burning your last match' too early... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!