Puddles

confused@BR
confused@BR Posts: 295
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
It is popular advice from old riders that 'you never ride through a puddle that you cannot see the bottom of'. Well, they wouldn't have liked to be out with me today. Heavy overnight rain running off the fields left the lanes like lakes, let alone puddles. Thank the Lance for mudguards and overshoes. Great ride though :D
'fool'

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Personally hate that narrow country lane thing where the road is still waterlogged and heavy rain has washed all sort of stuff all over the road and you can't see it till you've hit it... Usually on a steep downhill in my experience here in cornwall
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Never ride through a puddle would be better advice
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    You never know what could be hidden beneath. Usually a load of dirt and crap piles up at the center of a puddle. Also if you're going fast and there's a blocked drain you could risk a puncture or nasty fall.
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    While I dont like riding through them on the canal path I have no choice, especially when the cleaner side is kerbed and hitting the kerb slightly off, could cause a wobble and fall.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    It's sound advice. Look what happens if you ignore it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LO9EPtCz8 :D.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I looked like I'd been swimming in a muddy pond after my ride today :-)
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Every puddle hides a mineshaft

But seriously, around our way the drain covers are disappearing as fast as the council replaces them. Ride through a puddle at your peril! :shock:
    Purveyor of "up" :)