Project Pretty Boy

PenguinWithHair
PenguinWithHair Posts: 185
edited October 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Hey everyone. My girlfriend was gifted an old Apollo from a friend of her's at work and I was later informed - "you have a project". I was only going to give it a little clean and tune up but a touch of OCD kicked in and I've basically took it completely apart and rebuilt it as it was in a right state. It's a budget project as it's an Apollo but it's my most ambitious one to day including a new paint job! I quite like 'Pretty Boy' , appropriate name for it as I'm building it up as a girl's bike even though it's technically a man bike :) Here it is so far.
th_DSC_0376.jpg

th_DSC_0338.jpg

Comments

• Big shout out to "mcnultycop" on bikeradar who basically gave this brake set away for the cost of it's post!
  • I will happily confess to it being a very amateur paint job but it still looks ten times better than it did. The keen among you may notice the 'custom' shifter clamp and saddle bolt colour :)

Open to suggestions on decals!
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Big shout out to "mcnultycop" on bikeradar who basically gave this brake set away for the cost of it's post!

Glad they are getting some use.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get some semi decent tyres on, remove shed loads of weight and give it some grip, have a useable square taper cartridge BB cheap (Neco) if you want to improve reliability!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the offer on the BB but I already have one. There's a reason I left that drive side cup is still on and painted over in that picture, it's seriously tight! For the amount of hassle it'll save I've just serviced and reinstalled the original. You wouldn't think it but compared to the rest of the components on the bike (EVERYTHING appears to be steel) these wheels and tyres are really light! Once these tyres are worn I'll put some slicks on as it'll only ever get road use I'd have thought. The biggest weight ditch would probably be if I replaced the forks, chainset and handlebars, but in all honesty there's no need at this point. The crankset and chainrings are a big one piece solid chunk of steel! To be honest I kinda like that, but it weighs a tone! Update picture soon :) It's nearly ready to rock. Sounds quite sad but I've enjoyed working on this, I've learned a lot about old style components.
  • Here we go, nearly done :)