Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Wanders off to buy a Magicshine...

I don't need a Magicshine, totally urban commute you see, I am gonna get one though...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    rubertoe wrote:

I don't need a Magicshine, totally urban commute you see, I am gonna get one though...

I do.

Well. I don't.

I have a Vision 2 and a Vision 1 at the moment but it can be dark as a coal 'ole picnic on the way home in places.

Just trying to find the best deal / battery combo
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I've got one of those MagicShines. Too bright for town use; but I have it illuminating the ground in front of me quite well.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    /Pats Exposure Strada lovingly....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Pretty sure they did one last year or at the start of this year.
    Agent57 wrote:
    I've got one of those MagicShines. Too bright for town use; but I have it illuminating the ground in front of me quite well.

Ditto, although the £30 DX-knockoff & I point it down at the wheel, putting it on strobe when negotiating roundabouts/busy junctions to minimise the SMIDSY risk.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Shame the Ayup (which figured very well in the test published on BR) isn't included. Back to using mine and, tonight, in the pitch black and pouring rain, it was great
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    I've just bought the Electron Terra 3, £110 from Merlin. Absolutely superb all in one unit, similar output to the Exposure Strada but better runtime and nearly half the rrp price. It came with a smart charger and was nicely packaged. Seems very made and the mount is solid and quick to fit. Highly recommended.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • asprilla
    pastey_boy wrote:
    I've just bought the Electron Terra 3, £110 from Merlin. Absolutely superb all in one unit, similar output to the Exposure Strada but better runtime and nearly half the rrp price. It came with a smart charger and was nicely packaged. Seems very made and the mount is solid and quick to fit. Highly recommended.

Erm, 9hrs for the Terra 3 vs 10hrs for the Strada.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • pastey_boy
    Asprilla wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:

Erm, 9hrs for the Terra 3 vs 10hrs for the Strada.
    Erm,I meant on full power (800 lumens) Strada just about manages 3 hrs, Terra 3 nearly 4. The lower settings will have different output levels and so will differ.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • asprilla
    Electron say 3 hrs on their site, don't they?

Must admit I've got mk3 Strada which is only 645 lumen and I can't see why you would need the 800 the new version gives. I dip it when anyone is coming the other way for fear of blinding them.

Just got my Joystick today and I'm liking the OMS function they've introduced this year. It lets you select different combinations of what constitutes High and Low so you can set the max at 50% of the available and the min at 20% if that's all you need and the burn time extends / contracts accordingly.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • pastey_boy
    Had just under 4 hrs before I needed to recharge so very impressed although it is heavier than the Strada. The Electrons mid 500 lumen setting seems more than plenty tbh although there is a stretch of very dark unlit road near me where the full setting came in handy. I know the Exposure lights are beautifully engineered high quality items but Electron have really stepped up their game with this light, glad I took a punt.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    So helpful for new commuters, it arguably deserves a sticky on this thread. Don't you think?

Happy with my XPower 500. :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    vermin wrote:
    So helpful for new commuters, it arguably deserves a sticky on this thread. Don't you think?

Happy with my XPower 500. :)

So good it might be moved to commuter general you mean.

:|
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    What a brilliant article. No Ayups though, shame.
  • my magicshine is the 2000 lumens job great on country roads, this moring so daft idiot thought my light was too bright on 3rd highest setting, so put their lights on full beam, so i did the same back, 2 secs later car turned theirs off, i win :lol:
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ive got the moon X300 - the same as on test an have found it pretty good

im getting another Magicshine though, part of my commute is a disused railway line an is freaking scary in the pitch black

i broke two magicshines last year hopefully 3rd time lucky?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Great way to compare lights. I've got a v1 Exposure Strada and it's still going strong, but I'm struggling to come up with the money for a brighter one (commute's changed a bit, and I definitely want more light).
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    mudcow: Get a proper Magicshine, not the £30 clone of a MS, they're much better built.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Interesting, but a bit skewed towards raw power. The less powerful version of my dynamo light is on there, which, when angled correctly illuminates the whole road evenly, without a bright spot to spoil your vision of the rest of the road, or spilling into oncoming drivers' eyes. My magic shine isn't as good on the road, by a long way, because by the time it's pointed downwards enough to not be obnoxious, all I can see is the spot 5 feet in front of me.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I like the new MiNewt 500 however my current set up is pretty good, evidenced by the cars dipping their headlights for me last night.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Hmm, disappointed that the previously highly-scored Four4ths aren't in there. I really like my original one (now the Exodus) and the low setting is perfect for urban commute and the high setting excellent for trail/country roads.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    bails87 wrote:
    mudcow: Get a proper Magicshine, not the £30 clone of a MS, they're much better built.

This. I used to go through a new set of lights every winter, because the build quality is generally crap. Two years ago I bought my magicshine, and with the exception of a lost charger and a broken clip due to some overzealous tightening its as good as the day I bought it.

I also learn to appreciate cars thinking you'e much bigger than you are and giving you the space they would afford other cars and motorbikes. It's quite refreshing until spring comes.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    pastey_boy wrote:
    on full power (800 lumens) Strada just about manages 3 hrs, Terra 3 nearly 4. The lower settings will have different output levels and so will differ.
    Any idea of the runtime for the Terra 3 on the 500 lumens setting?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My £30 MS 'clone' is superbly built. I guess they must vary.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    You can also get a wide angle filter lense for the Magicshine, this spreads the light pattern out sideways. Cost £5.

The magicshine isn't great on roads as the light goes every where, so can dazzle. The wide angle lense reduces this.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    My 808e turned up this morning. I'd be interested in getting the filter....

(only ordered it yesterday I was very impressed with the speed it turned up!)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238

beat me to it :)
    You know the roads i ride and i definetly need a MS, its amazing that every year the mags trot off very similar articles and never review the MS/xml t6 clones .
    I have just started using my MS again on my unlit country lane commute , it was a bit dark at 5 am this morning and TBH the cars i saw did not flash me to "dip " like they do when they think a vehicles beam is dazzling .I have the beam pointed down slightky to illuminate the road so that the hotspot is far enough in front of the front wheel to see properly and the overspill covers enough road without blinding other road users.
    I know the MS 900 lumen really comes out at about 600 lumens but according to goolgle a dipped car beam comes in at 900 lumen approx so they have no grounds to complain if angled right.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What Mountain Bike just did a summary/short test of 18 lamps. The MS880 won ;-)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    supersonic wrote:
    What Mountain Bike just did a summary/short test of 18 lamps. The MS880 won ;-)

Is that different from the MJ-880 that BR seemed to score evenly with the Gemini and Ayup lights?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH