US Elections - who should win and why?

walkingbootweather
walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
Looks like its going to be a close run thing.

Who do you think will win?
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Meh, any prediction is no better than flipping a coin, even from informed people, but if I'm trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about, which I don't, it will all hang on the final employment and general economic figures that come out just before they take to the voting booths.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Oh please......

Who will win and why OK, worrying question, but if the shiny toothed,mad fcuking, anti abortionist "only letters I need to learn are USA" gets in then you might as well draw the curtains.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I have no idea who will win, but it will definitely be close. It always is. Even with Mitt Romney basically lying his way through his election campaign. US politics is so crazy it makes UK politics look respectable.
  • rick_chasey
    Speaking of US vs UK politics.

I thought Veep was sh!t.
  • marz
    marz Posts: 130
    If Obama wins the USA will get the President they need.
    If Romney wins they'll get the President they deserve.

I just hate the whole thing, it's like the worst reality game show ever.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    marz wrote:

I'm just constantly appalled by all the lying and obvious bias in the media. Perhaps I'm spoiled by the BBC, but I can't help but wonder how the hell do they get away with it?
  • rick_chasey
    notsoblue wrote:
    marz wrote:

I'm just constantly appalled by all the lying and obvious bias in the media. Perhaps I'm spoiled by the BBC, but I can't help but wonder how the hell do they get away with it?

In the US it's the opposite to the UK.

In US - papers must be seen to be impartial(ish), TV doesn't have to be.

In UK other way around - TV must be seen to be impartial but the papers don't have to be.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    What's the difference?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    cjcp wrote:
    What's the difference?
    Romney is so stupid that he is dangerous. Think of Reagan in the later years.....
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • cjcp
    daviesee wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    What's the difference?
    Romney is so stupid that he is dangerous. Think of Reagan in the later years.....

He certainly doesn't come across very well, but he'll be the puppet, so to speak. Reagan's administration had its Hawks in the early years - Wolfowitz was there is '84 or so, I think. Obama hasn't started a war, I suppose, but let's not get carried away: despite the increasing number of sanctions against Iran, US trade to Iran has increased significantly. By contrast, other countries' trade is suffering.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • marz
    marz Posts: 130
    notsoblue wrote:

It's because those on TV are not journalists, they are pundits. Straight new's on TV doesn't sell, opinion on the new and bias do. And yes, it is appalling.

I can't watch Fox News without wanting to throw a brick at the TV.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    can i vote for bush?

i like bush
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I think it's one of the least important elections for some time.

There's so little room for change in US policies at the moment. Whoever gets it will print and spend as they're doing now and kick the can down the road a few more years (state failure awaits). There can't be any new wars as they can't afford it.
    exercise.png
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    can i vote for bush?

i like bush

You can vote for whoever you like - its called democracy :wink: . As a cyclist you may have been attracted to Al Gore, James Madison or Franklin D-lock Roosevelt. Everybody hates Lyndon Johnson's son Robert (RLJ). This time round it looks tight between 'Bike-rack' Obama and 'Fingerless cycling gloves' Romney
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • The American people will win. Remember, democracy is great!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    TheStone wrote:

There's so little room for change in US policies at the moment. Whoever gets it will print and spend as they're doing now and kick the can down the road a few more years (state failure awaits). There can't be any new wars as they can't afford it.
    This..

Personally I think America is decline. It may take 100s years (For Egypt it was 1000s), but kids in school a few generations from now will probably learn about the great American decline and when it started and they'll be taught about this era.

They can't start wars, there industry is faded there are stronger emerging markets in Continents/Countries that rival the size of America. The global wealth is being distributed elsewhere.

On the election, I think it is ridiculous to think that a Romney/Obama election would be close, but it will be and the very fact of that is why America is in decline - its certainly not growing.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    TheStone wrote:

you got it right. Same here in the UK or any country in europe for that matter.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • cjcp
    War with Iran cannot be ruled out. Sanctions don't always work, and it would only take one event to kick it all off, and it wouldn't necessarily involve a first strike by the US. One possibility is the age-old method of trying to unify a disgruntled population by creating a foreign distraction i.e. starting a war.

Also, if troops are being pulled out of Afghanistan, it leaves open the possibility of them being deployed elswhere...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    War with Iran cannot be ruled out. Sanctions don't always work, and it would only take one event to kick it all off, and it wouldn't necessarily involve a first strike by the US. One possibility is the age-old method of trying to unify a disgruntled population by creating a foreign distraction i.e. starting a war.

Also, if troops are being pulled out of Afghanistan, it leaves open the possibility of them being deployed elswhere...
    No chance. This dirty little war in Afghanistan against blokes on mopeds and pick up trucks has taken years and cost a lot of blood and gold. Iran is a very different prospect. The US will turn its attentions to the west and probably focus on the Pacific. They have no real threat from Europe or the Middle East. They will still make the occasional speech about backing the Israelis, but they will be on their own too.
    The USA is much like Europe, in decline. As said, the next pres will just keep spending just as our idiot politicians keep doing. After all, it's the elderly who have the most to gain, and they're the ones who vote.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

No chance. This dirty little war in Afghanistan against blokes on mopeds and pick up trucks has taken years and cost a lot of blood and gold. Iran is a very different prospect. The US will turn its attentions to the west and probably focus on the Pacific. They have no real threat from Europe or the Middle East. They will still make the occasional speech about backing the Israelis, but they will be on their own too.
    The USA is much like Europe, in decline. As said, the next pres will just keep spending just as our idiot politicians keep doing. After all, it's the elderly who have the most to gain, and they're the ones who vote.

I agree that Iran's a very different proposition, but it can't be ruled out because there's no telling for sure how Iran may react if sanctions drive them to the brink.

I'd say it was less than 50/50, but even if it was 10%, that's still a cause for concern.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."