Jacket for winter

Gianluca
Gianluca Posts: 23
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
Hello,

This is my first winter as a bike commuter and am looking for a jacket to wear. My current one isn't designed for this scope and shows some defiances on doing it.
First of all I'm riding a road bike and I don't want to spend a fortune, so the budget is aproximately under £100.
My daily journey to work is really short, about 10 minutes, but I use the bike as my only vehicle, so I would wear the jacket every day. I want something not too "bike geek", because as said I intend to wear it really often, and wear casual clothes under it.

I've seen some jackets by The North Face which look quite nice, and I suppose they are warm too. But I honestly don't know how good are for riding. Could they be a decent solution for journeys shorter than 30 minutes?
Which other brand do you advice me to look into?

Thank you in advance,

Gianluca

Comments

• I have an Altura Nightvision in red which is very warm/waterproof. TBH it's too warm for mild days so coming into it's own in cooler months. I have seen the black ones they do and they could definately be worn to blend in with everyday clothes- this subtle colour might be more up your street if you don't want the jacket to be too obviously a cycling jacket. If you shop around you can get one for 80 quid. Good luck
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I made the mistake of buying the night vision in both windproof and waterproof variants, as you say they are too warm in anything above 5 C. I'm still just in a long sleeve running top and spent most of last winter with this plus a base layer, using the waterproof jacket only when it was cold and wet; the windproof might be used 3 or 4 times a year.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    I totally live on my bike after September in my endura windchill. It's a tighter fit jacket so you won't be wearing anything under it apart from a base layer. But it's waterproof on the front only which will be all you need( your back doesn't get wet even in torrential downpours believe it or not!) and it's cool enough to wear at 16c or down to sub zero with a merino. I love it for £75
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    If you want a jacket for when the temp really plummets then I'd recommend the Mavic Espoir thermo.

Down to about 5degC I find I'm OK with a LS baselayer and jersey though.
  • Today I've been in Evans Cycles and Bike Surgery and had a look to some jackets. The only one which I like is the Gore Path Jacket, but it costs more than £100.
    I didn't find the Endura Windchill but from the pictures on the web it looks similar to the Gore one. That's a big point, and is cheaper too :)
    Tomorrow I will try a different shop to find it and have a look on eBay. Perhaps I can find the Gore for a smaller price.
  • 'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • wyadvd

that looks very similar to the windchill. Doesnt say if it has waterproof all round or just on the front. I wouldnt buy it if it was waterproof on the back. IME you only need the waterproof on the front, which is handy cos I sweat on my back the most. (this all assumes you are sensible enough to use mudguards at this time of year. For me, mudguards are part of the equation in wet weather very much)

I like shutt vr stuff by the way. its like rapha only one eighth of the price ..Nice....
  • Gianluca wrote:
    Today I've been in Evans Cycles and Bike Surgery and had a look to some jackets. The only one which I like is the Gore Path Jacket, but it costs more than £100.
    I didn't find the Endura Windchill but from the pictures on the web it looks similar to the Gore one. That's a big point, and is cheaper too :)
    Tomorrow I will try a different shop to find it and have a look on eBay. Perhaps I can find the Gore for a smaller price.

I bought the gore path a few weeks back in black...doesn't look so obviously 'cycley' and has a nice fit to it.

worn it about 3 or 4 times and I gotta say, while it's 100% waterproof and warm it's still too mild to be breathable in this weather!! Had to take it off after 20 mins today. Still better than anything I've used before but I'm guessing it'll need to be below 8/9C before I can use it comfortably on my hour+ commute. To be fair I think it will be the same for any waterprrof jacket...though the more you spend the higher temp you can possibly use it (sort of...maybe ;) )

still wont stop me putting it on if it looks like its gonna rain in the morning...I just dont learn!!!! :)
  • wyadvd
    Gianluca wrote:
    Today I've been in Evans Cycles and Bike Surgery and had a look to some jackets. The only one which I like is the Gore Path Jacket, but it costs more than £100.

I bought the gore path a few weeks back in black...doesn't look so obviously 'cycley' and has a nice fit to it.

worn it about 3 or 4 times and I gotta say, while it's 100% waterproof and warm it's still too mild to be breathable in this weather!! Had to take it off after 20 mins today. Still better than anything I've used before but I'm guessing it'll need to be below 8/9C before I can use it comfortably on my hour+ commute. To be fair I think it will be the same for any waterprrof jacket...though the more you spend the higher temp you can possibly use it (sort of...maybe ;) )

still wont stop me putting it on if it looks like its gonna rain in the morning...I just dont learn!!!! :)
    The thing I love about the windchill is that thanks to the non waterproof back it's cool enough with the vents open to wear on any given day after the end of September I the uk. So I just wear it all the time. When it rains it protects very well indeed and when conditions are colder you simply go from a craft vest to a merino long sleeve. And I don't work for endura!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Gore stuff is great. I'd worry more about windprood rather than waterproof. For commuting hi viz makes a lot of sense.

I have an Endura grid lock commuter jacket. Its good for winter but too hot for summer.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • I am more interested on wind-proof jackets than water-proof too. I used to run a couple of years ago and remember that the cheap wind-stopper jacket by Decathlon was more than enough even in torrential rain. At the end of the day doing a physical exercise you sweat and the waterproof materials can't guarantee a decent transpiration. I never wear Gore products but I am quite sure that it has its own limits.
    I have to try that Endura Windchill. I read some reviews and looks like a really good product.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I have the endura windchill and it is very good - but I am going to buy a pearl izumi soft shell for when it get really cold - winchill I find OK (with base layer) down to 5c after that I want less layers.
  • wyadvd
    jonomc4 wrote:
    I have the endura windchill and it is very good - but I am going to buy a pearl izumi soft shell for when it get really cold - winchill I find OK (with base layer) down to 5c after that I want less layers.
    My windchill is wearing out actually. Put in an order for a castelli transparente due for Xmas!
  • Has somebody ever tried the The North Face Apex Bionic or Apex Android Hoodie Jackets? are both soft shells.
    I know that they are a bit more expensive than my initial budget but perhaps I can find a bargain in eBay.
    They look cool to me.