What size seat clamp ?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
What size seat clamp will go on this ?

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/kS1/a5 ... m-7-0.html

I'm after one of these

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=412

The size on bike discription says 31.6 and superstar do a 31.8 would this fit ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jimmy182 wrote:
    What size seat clamp will go on this ?

The size on bike discription says 31.6 and superstar do a 31.8 would this fit ?
    No.

should be 34.9mm
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    The clamp is always bigger than the post, as it goes round the frame, not the post...

Difficult to say/guess. Alu is relatively thick stuff, compared to , say, steel, so it's going to be either 34.9 or 36mm

my Bfe (steel) runs a 31.6 post and a 34.9 clamp, so it probably is this size, but the Radon may be thicker in which case you'd move up to the next size, which is usually 36.4.

I'd go Hope, over SS myself.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Anonymous
    Cheers nick is that to take in to consideration the seat post of the frame ?

Would these fit straight onto the wheels ?

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=337

Thanks in advance.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    yep
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Anonymous
    Thank you as well maddog are they similar price ? So your saying the only way to know for sure is to wait for the bike to arrive and measure myself ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The clamp has to fit the frame, you either measure the frame or look at the current clamp (which will normally have the sizing listed)

Yes they'll fit your wheels, somthing wrong with the originals? (Shimano are generally considered the best if not the lightest).

Without being rude these appear to be 'upgrades' for the sake of 'upgrading' without necesarily thinking of making the bike better? I'd look at getting grips to suite YOU and tyres YOUR RIDE first!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jimmy182 wrote:
    Cheers nick is that to take in to consideration the seat post of the frame ?
    well i dont think you have quite grasped the issue. 34.9mm is the size of the seat tube and that is what the clamp clamps. the seat post diameter is basically irrelavant as the clamp does not touch it.

size taken from the front mech clamp as it looks like a plain tube. but it could be almost any size which would need the tube in the clamp area measure if it is waisted. but i would not have thought it will be.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    That's what I meant nick the seat tube of the frame.

And the beginner yes your right they are just aesthetic upgrades no real reason apart from colour scheme really.
    Already got new grips. Are you saying the tyres aren't upto much ?

Cheers.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nobby Nics can be good or bad, depending on what surface you are riding on, which is......?

For the sake of waiting 2-3 days more after you get the bike, I'd wait and then order the clamp knowing it's the right size.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Trail riding if there any good and a bit dangerous ? If not ill look for something a bit more adrenaline packed. Not too keen on any uphill riding although I know I'm going to have to put up with quite a bit of it.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Unless you use transport of any kind and start where you finish, you have exactly the same ups as downs.