Sky Sports announce Cav to OPQS

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
edited October 2012 in Pro race
Sky Sports News have just announced it on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/statu ... 5493153792

No confirmation from anywhere else yet as far as I can see.

Comments

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Let's see if the slave traders got anything in return.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Its on Sky News
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Think its a great move for all parties.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Turfle
    I do too.

And when all is said and done, I think Cav will look back on his one year with Sky with a lot of pride.
  • ...when not sulking cos the OPQS train isnt fully functioning from the word go...or if he doesnt win the green jersey again...
  • Turfle
    Let's get a train going!

They've got plenty of flat power with the likes of Martin, Brammeier, Velits, Grabsch etc, but not a lot of end of race speed. Boonen and Fenn really the only two I can see.
  • graeme_s-2
    I think it's a great move for both parties. It gives OPQS a focus at the Tour and gives Cav the support he needs there without treading on anyone else's toes. If he does decide to have a crack at some spring classics at some point then he's in the best place to learn about them.
  • graeme_s-2
    Slightly funny how this is coming out. First Sky Sports News tweeted it, then some other news outlets tweeted it (presumably regurgitating the Sky Sports News tweet), then Yahoo/Eurosport published an article which said Cavendish "is believed to have left Sky for OPQS" - presumably this means "Sky Sports News said it on twitter". Now the Guardian have an article up, which says "Mark Cavendish has confirmed he is leaving Team Sky to join Omega Pharma-Quick Step for the 2013 season.", but includes a quote from September that provides no such confirmation.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Slightly funny how this is coming out. First Sky Sports News tweeted it, then some other news outlets tweeted it (presumably regurgitating the Sky Sports News tweet), then Yahoo/Eurosport published an article which said Cavendish "is believed to have left Sky for OPQS" - presumably this means "Sky Sports News said it on twitter". Now the Guardian have an article up, which says "Mark Cavendish has confirmed he is leaving Team Sky to join Omega Pharma-Quick Step for the 2013 season.", but includes a quote from September that provides no such confirmation.
    I was called an "eejit" for basically saying that.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • graeme_s-2
    Sky Sports News now have an article up which states as a fact that he's leaving and has a 3 year deal with OPQS, but contains no sources or quotes from anyone

http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/ ... s-Team-Sky
  • graeme_s-2
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I think it probably is true, as it's been the worst kept secret in the peloton for months now, but it is a bit of a weird way for it to come out. Looks a bit like Sky Sports News are just reporting the rumour as fact in the absence of any official announcement.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Turfle wrote:
    Let's get a train going!

They've got plenty of flat power with the likes of Martin, Brammeier, Velits, Grabsch etc, but not a lot of end of race speed. Boonen and Fenn really the only two I can see.

I thought Matt Brammeier is moving on from OPQS?
  • I have seen a few posts online of people who reckon Cav was doping in the TdF to get over the mountains. The conspiracy has started as Team Sky have announced Cav leaving the day they ask their riders to sign an anti doping agreement.

Some people.........
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    hammerite wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    Let's get a train going!

I thought Matt Brammeier is moving on from OPQS?

Correct
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Turfle
    Hadn't heard that. Do we know where he's going?
  • graeme_s-2
    It's up on the Team Sky website now:

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 68,00.html
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I have seen a few posts online of people who reckon Cav was doping in the TdF to get over the mountains. The conspiracy has started as Team Sky have announced Cav leaving the day they ask their riders to sign an anti doping agreement.

Some people.........

You have to admit that the timing could be better

tdf10-CAV-LANCE.jpg
  • LangerDan
    Turfle wrote:
    Hadn't heard that. Do we know where he's going?

Nothing's been said - apparently he is having knee surgery again. I wonder if he'll end up back with Kelly's squad as one of their other "monsters" (Bagdonas) has signed for Ag2R
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:

Hmmm.

I think there were other reasons for you to be called an eejit.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Turfle wrote:
    They've got plenty of flat power with the likes of Martin, Brammeier, Velits, Grabsch etc, but not a lot of end of race speed.

Agree with this. Still a good move for him personally though.
  • Turfle wrote:
    Let's get a train going!

I've read that Brammy's out of contract...
  • Turfle
    Yeah, I hadn't realised.

I think, come the Tour next year, it will be Fenn leading out Cavendish for the glory of Britain.
  • I give him a couple of months of getting Boonan's leftovers before
    he starts mouthing his discontent.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • LangerDan
    Thats Tony Martin's embryonic GC dreams in the crapper then. Julys from here on in are going to be spent towing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    If big tone has any idea for GC beyond 1 week pork and wine races with big TTs and soft mountains he's been partying with Boonen too much.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Have to agree with Rick here - Even Levi had more chance of winning a GC!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:

Nope, you were called an eejit for stating that Cav needs to focus on one day races and classics. I apologize for calling you an eejit, as that was rude of me, but I maintain that thinking that Cav will ever turn into a classics rider is utter nonsense.
  • Nick Fitt
    Nick Fitt Posts: 381
    Essentially, he could still go to Rabobank for the 2017 season, its not entirely concrete he wont
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    From Cav's Twitter:

Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish

After a while away from twitter, I'm pleased to return with the announcement I'll ride for @opqscyclingteam Omega Pharma-Quickstep next year
  • Sky Team video of Wiggins ("Built on Sand") dated 17th Oct, stating he hoped to be riding out Cav in 2013 :?
    All the gear, but no idea...