Chain devices - help needed

Donkey Punch
Donkey Punch Posts: 3
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Currently have a Spesh FSR XC Comp 2007, with shimano cranks, but I want to go to single front chainring with bashguard and chain guide (keeping 10 speed rear cassette), but not sure how to do so.
The front chain ring will be the current middle ring, 36t, so I guess I can just bolt a guard to the spider in place of the current big ring?
Secondly, what type of guide to I need? The bike doesn't have the ISO fixing for chain devices around the bottom bracket, so I'm not sure how you would fit one but I can't believe it is impossible to do so.
Finally, any suggestions as to the current best tried and tested devices would be useful of you have any.
Thanks
DP

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you get a metal bash it will almost certainly have the same thickness mounting as the old outer ring, so just bolt it on like for like.

You can get BB mounted chainguides like the Superstar Plasma (sandwiched between BB and frame as you do the BB up) or seat tube mounted ones (like a front mech) or you can use the old front mech locked off with the stops - take your pic! In fact if running a bash you can get away with using an N-gear "jump stop" for an ultra stealth approach.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Depends on what sort of chainguide you want, as Beginner lists you have a few options, lack of iso tabs is not a real problem.

My personal choice would be something like the superstar xcr.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=362

or laser

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=263
  • Nice one, thanks for your replies.
    I have the standard Shimano BB on it (8 spline I think), does that type allow for BB hung chain devices or does it need to be a hollowtech style?
    DP
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Octalink....and yes you can run a BB mount with that, but as stated you have 2 other choices, for an XC bike the N-gear jump stop is a great option as its very light and all but invisable.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.