Clipless Pedals and Shoes.. Costing

skooter
skooter Posts: 264
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
I am just in the process of buying clipless pedals and shoes and I was wondering on what I should pay.. I've look on a few sites and the pedals range from £18 to £500 and shoes from £50 upwards..
As I'm a Ronseal sort of guy I dont like cheap but I dont like bling but as with most things you have to pay a bit extra for some better/good gear..
So what is the average price for pedals and shoes.. I do have some in mind, but I just wanted to know as I only want to buy once..

Cheers

Comments

• Rooner
    Rooner Posts: 109
    Well, I use shimano M520s (less than £20), and some wiggle DHB shoes (something like the M1,less than £50). These are SPDs, so you can walk a little easier in them. They seem fine to me, probably too heavy for racing, but for year round commuting, and 50+ mile rides at the weekend, they seem the business to me. Shoes are nice and stiff, and the pedals seem reliable (and cheap!).

Don't know if I would notice any difference whatsoever if I upgraded it all, bearing in mind the riding I do. If you are doing long rides, maybe something lighter would be better? These were my first spd type setup, and they have been great, no probs
  • skooter
    Rooner wrote:
    Well, I use shimano M520s (less than £20), and some wiggle DHB shoes (something like the M1,less than £50). These are SPDs, so you can walk a little easier in them. They seem fine to me, probably too heavy for racing, but for year round commuting, and 50+ mile rides at the weekend, they seem the business to me. Shoes are nice and stiff, and the pedals seem reliable (and cheap!).

Don't know if I would notice any difference whatsoever if I upgraded it all, bearing in mind the riding I do. If you are doing long rides, maybe something lighter would be better? These were my first spd type setup, and they have been great, no probs

Upgrading ... I have to say I hadn't thought of that, so that would be an option should I need it.
    I should add I dont have a budget, but if I can save a bit it would go to something else?
  • Decathlon are selling look keo easy for £30 and look keo classic for £50, anyone I know who uses look pedals are impressed with them. I actually bought them after speaking to a colleague who raves about their stuff.
    As for shoes, wiggle recently had Time RXI shoes for £60, down from £100. Only had them a week or so but impressed so far with them. Reviews mention they can be a strange fit but I've found mine very comfortable (only done 30-odd miles though)
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Muddy fox mtb/road cycling shoes from Sports Direct = £20 and they are actually ok, (they are only £20, dont expect miracles.)
    Shimano SPD 520's around £26, or get the Wellgo reasonable quality lookalikes for a little less money.
  • skooter
    Just been having a look on the wiggle site and three pedals have come up..
    Shimano.. 5700 SPD SL.. @£42
    Shimano.. 6700 SDP SL.. @ 67
    Shimano.. 6700 SDP SL.. @ £107 or £99 of ebay, but these are carbon so I think they could be lighter.. so what is the difference between the 5700 and the 6700 both seem to have good reveiws.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    skooter wrote:
    Shimano.. 6700 SDP SL.. @ £107 or £99 of ebay, but these are carbon so I think they could be lighter.. so what is the difference between the 5700 and the 6700 both seem to have good reveiws.

The short answer is very little apart from weight.

The 5700 are designed to go with the 105 groupset and the 6700 with the Ultegra groupset, which is the next one up in Shimano's lineup. They will all work fine on any bike as long as you have SPD-SL cleats on your shoes so it's simply down whether you think the small weight saving is worth the extra money.

I have heard that the carbon ones flex slightly more and some riders have claimed they can get the power down better with metal pedals. Mark Cavendish (PBUH) is reputed to be one of those but since neither of us is in his league, I dare say that won't matter too much.

I went for the 105 5700s FWIW. I wanted black ones, which were slightly more expensive. You can get a pair of silver ones with cleats for £30 on eBay.
  • skooter
    Thanks guys..
    The other thing is.. I noticed was some of the pedals come with cleats and some dont (not that I'm bothered one way or tuther) is this just a sales ploy..
  • If it's your first time riding clipless then chances are you'll fall off when stopping and end up scratching the side(s) of them a load so don't spend too much just yet..
  • skooter
    SamHedges wrote:
    If it's your first time riding clipless then chances are you'll fall off when stopping and end up scratching the side(s) of them a load so don't spend too much just yet..

Something to look forward too :mrgreen:
  • Pedals usually come with cleats (unless they are 2nd hand...)

At least they do in the MTB world
  • skooter
    Now a bit on the shoes..

How do they have to fit, obviously not very very tight but tight rather than loose. Do the shoes give in anyway as that would play a part. Do they have to be broke in perhaps.

PS.. I am favouring the Shinamo pedals the 6700's at the moment perhaps and the carbon ones..
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Best thing to do about shoes is to pop to your LBS('s) and try on as many as you can.
    You don't want them to be too tight as your feet expand as you get warm whilst cycling - but from what I've seen most are easy to adjust slightly on the go if they're feeling overly tight.
  • skooter
    ad_snow wrote:
    Best thing to do about shoes is to pop to your LBS('s) and try on as many as you can.
    You don't want them to be too tight as your feet expand as you get warm whilst cycling - but from what I've seen most are easy to adjust slightly on the go if they're feeling overly tight.

I did try Decathlon yesterday but they have sold out of all Shimano road shoes and awaiting delivery of some new stock.. just my luck.
    I have been to other bike shops and they have never heard of discount.. :mrgreen:
    Will be visiting the UK in about 3 weeks time if Decathlon aint got any.. both wiggle and chainreaction deliver to Spain but I need to try on first.. :)
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Bont shoes and Speedplay pedals faultless.
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    I managed to pick up some Mavic Peloton shoes from my LBS at £40 which I believe is a bit of a bargain as they were getting rid of some 2011 stock I then picked up some Exustar (Keo copies) for £20 while I was there. They've been great for me to get used to and they're fully serviceable, the only problem I had was that the provided cleats were very poor quality plastic and broke up within about a month. I've had no problem at all since changing them to Keo's.
  • skooter
    kayo74 wrote:
    Bont shoes and Speedplay pedals faultless.

I read on an old thread about shoes and Bont's name came up..
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    skooter wrote:
    Thanks guys..
    The other thing is.. I noticed was some of the pedals come with cleats and some dont (not that I'm bothered one way or tuther) is this just a sales ploy..

Since a new pair of cleats can cost £15 on their own, no, this is not just a sales ploy. I know £15 is not a lot but added to the cost of pedals that are themselves only £30, that's a material price difference.
  • skooter
    wilo13 wrote:
    lotus49 wrote:
    skooter wrote:

The short answer is very little apart from weight.

The 5700 are designed to go with the 105 groupset and the 6700 with the Ultegra groupset, which is the next one up in Shimano's lineup. They will all work fine on any bike as long as you have SPD-SL cleats on your shoes so it's simply down whether you think the small weight saving is worth the extra money.

I have heard that the carbon ones flex slightly more and some riders have claimed they can get the power down better with metal pedals. Mark Cavendish (PBUH) is reputed to be one of those but since neither of us is in his league, I dare say that won't matter too much.

I went for the 105 5700s FWIW. I wanted black ones, which were slightly more expensive. You can get a pair of silver ones with cleats for £30 on eBay.

There is no point wasting your money on the 6700 pedals, the 5700 ones have the same mechanism, they are just slightly lighter. The pedals will also come with the cleats if you buy them brand new. Your better off investing your money in some good quality shoes with some nice stiff carbon soles. Also certain brands are known for having widder or narrower fitted shoes so my advice is try before you buy. All my shoes are northwave shoes as I have wide feet and northwave fit me well.

Thats interesting to know about the pedals and I was thinking about spending on a good pair of road shoes as I'm a bit funny about normal shoes..
    Cheers.. :wink:
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    How much of a difference would you say clipless actually make? It's a fair bit of dosh for something that seems 'accessory'
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    skooter wrote:
    I am just in the process of buying clipless pedals and shoes and I was wondering on what I should pay.. I've look on a few sites and the pedals range from £18 to £500 and shoes from £50 upwards..
    As I'm a Ronseal sort of guy I dont like cheap but I dont like bling but as with most things you have to pay a bit extra for some better/good gear..
    So what is the average price for pedals and shoes.. I do have some in mind, but I just wanted to know as I only want to buy once..

Cheers

My first set up was the trusted Shimano M520s and some MTB style SPD shoes and cost me about £60 all in from CRC.

I have seen absolutely no need to change from the M520s as they serve my purpose fine and are available for about £18 ATM with cleats. I have bought other pairs and flogged the pedals as more economic than just buying the cleats.

Don't buy em of Ebay as the snide sellers remove the cleats. Wiggle or CRC is your friend. I now have 4 pairs of Shimano SPD shoes. My road R077 SPD SLs were the most I have paid for a pair of any shoes - ever - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55382 and they cost me £47.99 when I bought em.

Excellent road shoes IMO. If you go on ukhotdeals you may be amazed, and pretty sick at how much Shimano SPD shoes have been availabe for!

The reason why I have 4 pairs of Shimano SPD shoes and paid under £120 - hope that's Ronseal enough 4 ya!
  • Thebigbee
    Finlaz22 wrote:
    How much of a difference would you say clipless actually make? It's a fair bit of dosh for something that seems 'accessory'

Definitely NOT an "accessory"!

I thought the same but once I spent my initial £60 getting my first set - have to say I hate cycling in anything but SPDs.

IMO - and a lot of other peoples - probably THE best and most cost efficient upgrade to improve cycling performance, enjoyment and efficiency - especially for road cyclists.

Don't procrastinate - get with the program. Once you go SPD you won't want to go "free".

From then upgrade your wheels and every other part you may need!
  • skooter
    edited October 2012
    Just had to write this again ... bummer.

Just been to Decathlon to try some shoes out and still no Shinamo's size 44 but I did try there MTB ones and they fittted very well, I did try some BTwin road shoes and they was crap but I did try some NW's which even at the budget end did seem pretty good.
    But due to some juggling of monies it looks like I can go up on the price for a road shoe.. I'm now looking at spending £130 ish for a road shoe and the Sidi Pro 5 and the Gaerne Mythos come in that sort of bracket, so that's put a different light on things..
    Anyway its all good fun and thanks for your help so far..

Cheers
  • skooter
    wilo13 wrote:
    skooter wrote:
    Just had to write this again ... bummer.

Just been to Decathlon to try some shoes out and still no Shinamo's size 44 but I did try there MTB ones and they fittted very well, I did try some BTwin road shoes and they was crap but I did try some NW's which even at the budget end did seem pretty good.
    But due to some juggling of monies it looks like I can go up on the price for a road shoe.. I'm now looking at spending £130 ish for a road shoe and the Sidi Pro 5 and the Gaerne Mythos come in that sort of bracket, so that's put a different light on things..
    Anyway ita all good fun and thanks for your help so far..

Cheers

Thats a good price point for shoes. For that price you can can get some with carbon soles, you really do notice the difference of a carbon sole shoe. Have a look on http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk. Some shoes I recommend on there in your price range:
    Bont A Three: £125
    Shimano R133 SDP-SL

have a look on http://www.wiggle.co.uk: the reviews on there give you a good indication of what shoes are good.

Sidi shoes are good but they are a very narrow fit to warn you. There also very overpriced and you can get more for your money with other brands.

I wanted to have a look at the Shimano R133's in Decathlon but they dont stock them over here.
    So why do you regard the Sidi's as dear and what do you look for as good value when buying road shoes.. sorry for such a naff question but this is all new to me.. oh and thanks for the links..
  • skooter
    Wilo..
    Oh I'm hooked thats for sure..

I'm lucky in one way as I've have just packed up offroading and sold my Gas Gas 450 so the bikes gone and all the stuff I'm buying for my cycling now is being payed for by selling all my offroad gear so its not too bad money wise, but SHMBO might flip if I say I want to get a carbon bike next year.. :shock:
    I understand about the shoes now so thanks for explaining though its hard to make a good choice without trying the shoes on. I will I expect have to way till I get to the UK next month and buy from the UK...bummer.
    So I will still try a few of the shops over here as you never know?

Cheers..
  • Thebigbee
    wilo13 wrote:
    Put it this way, Sidi shoes are like the Prada of the cycling world. A bit like Oakleys are the top eye wear in cycling, they are great glasses but your looking at 100 odd quid for their entry level shades! They are all great quality but you pay a premium for the brand name. However saying that you will soon realise once you get hooked on cycling it is not a cheap sport regardless of what brand you buy, all about damage limitation!

Agree with most of your points but IMO Oakleys are the most overpriced and overrated load of crap I have ever had.

I have had Bolle and Bloc and IMO have been better than Oakleys at about a third or the price.

Similarly with shoes. What is the real point in buying SIDI or carbon shoes - unless you have a proper light carbon bike? The OP states he hasn't got one but you can get very decent carbon bikes for about £1000 - seems a bit odd to spend over 10% of that on shoes if you haven't got a decent bike to start with.

This looks nice for a grand http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBSLPRIVSIL/planet_x_pro_carbon_sram_rival_road_bike

Just my opinion.
  • Finlaz22
    Thebigbee wrote:
    Finlaz22 wrote:

I thought the same but once I spent my initial £60 getting my first set - have to say I hate cycling in anything but SPDs.

IMO - and a lot of other peoples - probably THE best and most cost efficient upgrade to improve cycling performance, enjoyment and efficiency - especially for road cyclists.

Don't procrastinate - get with the program. Once you go SPD you won't want to go "free".

Ok cheers. I appreciate the majority use them and find them effective, I just think they might get annoying with the commuting having to take them off when I get there etc. Would you be able to suggest any, or is it a personal thing (similar to saddles) and I should just get down to my LBC? Thanks!
  • Thebigbee
    Finlaz22 wrote:
    Thebigbee wrote:
    Finlaz22 wrote:

Ok cheers. I appreciate the majority use them and find them effective, I just think they might get annoying with the commuting having to take them off when I get there etc. Would you be able to suggest any, or is it a personal thing (similar to saddles) and I should just get down to my LBC? Thanks!

Just buy some of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5937&_$ja=kw:shimano+pd+m324|cgn:shimano+pd+m324|cgid:3667989436|tsid:40896|cn:Chain+Reaction-UK-P-Exa-Eng-DT-SE|cid:207166756|lid:364159847|mt:Exact|nw:search|crid:15699139276&gclid=CLHLipeMkbMCFUbKtAodiX8AJg

and then you have the choice of wearing normal shoes or SPDs
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    started on SPD's and Spes shoes - all OK

Went Sidi shoes (ca=an't recommend them enough) and look pedals next - love em - but cleats wear out very fast.
  • Finlaz22
    Thebigbee wrote:
    Finlaz22 wrote:
    Thebigbee wrote:
    Finlaz22 wrote:

Just buy some of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5937&_$ja=kw:shimano+pd+m324|cgn:shimano+pd+m324|cgid:3667989436|tsid:40896|cn:Chain+Reaction-UK-P-Exa-Eng-DT-SE|cid:207166756|lid:364159847|mt:Exact|nw:search|crid:15699139276&gclid=CLHLipeMkbMCFUbKtAodiX8AJg

and then you have the choice of wearing normal shoes or SPDs

Think I'll go for some off CRC then buy some shoes in store, persuaded myself that the effectiveness of having them outway the hassle... Anyway, thanks for the help!
  • skooter
    Thebigbee wrote:
    wilo13 wrote:
    Put it this way, Sidi shoes are like the Prada of the cycling world. A bit like Oakleys are the top eye wear in cycling, they are great glasses but your looking at 100 odd quid for their entry level shades! They are all great quality but you pay a premium for the brand name. However saying that you will soon realise once you get hooked on cycling it is not a cheap sport regardless of what brand you buy, all about damage limitation!

Similarly with shoes. What is the real point in buying SIDI or carbon shoes - unless you have a proper light carbon bike?
    Just my opinion.

Well I think thats pants too be honest...
    Just my opinion..