Turning cable guides to through cable guides

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have an older model Cove Handjob that I am looking to revamp and bring back to former glory. I would like to fit full cable outers to it so need to modify the current cable guides.

To change them from the stop style guides to ones that would take a full outer what would people recommend?

I think I have seen this done with a drill but the close proximity to the frame makes it tricky, any suggestions?
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can buy through guides that will screw into the existing stop.

Or when I did it I used my Dremel and extension drive, wrapped LOTS of tape round the frame so that the chuck wouldn't mark the paint, I used a tile cutter bit that I put through the hole in the stop and then enlarged sideways using sideforce which that bit is designed for.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BigAirNig
    BigAirNig Posts: 296
    What is your purpose in running full length outer hoses .... ?

If it's to keep mud etc out, then you could always try the Gore Ride On cables which are 'sealed' with an inner sheath that runs the full length of the cable, so the inner cable is not exposed to the elements at all, despite the outer housing having breaks along it's length.

I just fitted some and they are super-slick. A friend has used them for years and swears by them.

http://www.rideoncables.com/en_us/

Chain reaction do them for £35 a set currently.... just make sure you get the right ones as they do road or MTB versions.

There is a video to show you how to install and it's easy enough to follow.

http://www.rideoncables.com/en_us/suppo ... fsder.html

Cheers
    Nig
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I have done it with a Dremmel and cutting/grinding stones.

Just take your time, no need to rush it. A good tip, have plenty of cups of tea at the ready!

Also, dab a bit of paint on the ground away areas.
  • paul.skibum
    I have those add on guides from shimano on my older full sus to carry the rear brake hose - they work well but are intrusive and get caught on my shorts/skin all the time and have wrecked the side of a set of knee pads.

I want to run full outers for clean lines and to stop muck ingress and recalled my old inbred had three hoops for the brake and gear cables to tun through where as the handjob has normal guides either side of a through guide for the brake.

I think the dremmel attack might work as the whole frame is going for a powdercoat too so it can be modified prior to the respray.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have done the job with a small round file. Didnt take me long probably 10 to 20 minutes per guide just masked up the frame round the guides in case I slipped put some music on and settled down to the job. didnt need to touch up the paint but bought some car touch up just in case.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • a small file is the easiest way and less likely to cause a slip damage, i used a hand drill for mine but was a Real PITA due to the positions of them, used the bolt in holders but like mentioned, caught on shorts etc and were a pain when popping on the bike rack,
    if youve got a dremel like tool and extension then they are great for jobs like this,especially if you have a conical grinding bit,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • paul.skibum
    Thanks Team - bike and I are back in Canada and the rebuild will begin with strip down to frame.