Cormet de Roselend in the Snow

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,043
edited October 2012 in Tour & expedition
As we were talking about the Cormet de Roselend in Russel's excellent Ventoux diary I thought I would post a small vid and some photos from Tuesday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl1z8189ULg

This is coming out of Albertville as you enter the Beaufort valley

IMG_20121016_123835.jpg

The lac de Roselend above Beaufort

IMG_20121016_135733.jpg

approaching the col

IMG_20121016_142146.jpg

Cormet de Roselend

IMG_20121016_143638.jpg

IMG_20121016_143646.jpg

IMG_20121016_143652.jpg

I'm really annoyed. I couldn't find a good way down from BsM to Moutiers so followed the national which has cycle lanes. Well gravel and glass strewn mini hard shoulders. Got a blow out just after Aime on the badly maintained expansion joints on the bridge (Conti GP4000S). The ride on the cycle land through the tunnel was hell, with 40 ton trucks brushing past you. Then I was hemmed in by a truck and hit a pothole, blew the sidewall on the rear Conti and dinged my back wheel. So new tire and new back wheel. :evil:

If you are doing the same stretch either take the train or go via the villages on the sides of the valley although this adds 400-500 meters of vertical it would be worth it.

http://www.trainingloops.com/cormet-de- ... 0-2012.htm
http://www.strava.com/athletes/1078863
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• DavidCr
    DavidCr Posts: 44
    davidof wrote:
    I'm really annoyed. I couldn't find a good way down from BsM to Moutiers so followed the national which has cycle lanes.
    There is a good cycle path that follows the river between Bourg and Aime. I haven't been on it for a few weeks but I suspect parts will be covered in leaves right now and will require caution
    davidof wrote:
    Well gravel and glass strewn mini hard shoulders. Got a blow out just after Aime on the badly maintained expansion joints on the bridge (Conti GP4000S). The ride on the cycle land through the tunnel was hell, with 40 ton trucks brushing past you. Then I was hemmed in by a truck and hit a pothole, blew the sidewall on the rear Conti and dinged my back wheel. So new tire and new back wheel. :evil:

If you are doing the same stretch either take the train or go via the villages on the sides of the valley although this adds 400-500 meters of vertical it would be worth it.
    I think you have been a bit unlucky there. That stretch of road is used regularly by cyclists, I don't find it too bad. The tunnel is well lit and does have a bike lane, IMO it is fine. I will admit that the lorries sound horrific and to be honest even a moped can sound terrifying in there, you do get used to it after a while.
  • Agreed you must have been unlucky. I cycle that main road a fair bit and have never found it that bad? One day I'll bother to try and find the cycle path although if it's going to be covered in wet leaves now maybe I'll wait.

I always figure as scary as it sounds having vehicles haring up behind you (Especially in the tunnels here) there ain't much you could do if they did hit you so just try and ignore it!

Also fair play for getting up there in the snow! Beautiful photos. It must have been 'bracing' at the top!?