Is anyone still making (relatively) inexpensive steel frames

LostHorizon
LostHorizon Posts: 27
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Steel is now a high end product, but years ago most manufacturers used to offer an in expensive steel option. I am not talking about 853 or anything. You used to be able to pick up a 4130 or tange prestige frame for about £100-150. Are they still about..?

cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yes, the obvious answer is On One. I really like their standard Inbreds; very comfortable and suprisingly confidence inspiring. For 100-120mm forks or rigid of course. Perfect for general trail riding and XC. Great value. I've got an 18'' white one (vertical dropout for running gears) if interested - it's the slightly older version which can run V brakes too. Has stratches as normal but structurally sound. PM me if interested.

Their steel 456 is for longer forks - around 140mm travel and is more beefy / heavey. There are different versions of the 456.

There are plenty of other companies doing nice steel frames - Cotic, Sirrus, Kinesis Decade etc but they are more money. There's no middle man with One One and their frames (like the majority of MTB frames generally) are made to order in the Far East. That's why they are cheaper but they are popular because they ride well.

You'll find that there are plenty of cheap alu frames around by the way.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Their steel 456 is for longer forks - around 140mm travel and is more beefy / heavey. There are different versions of the 456.

4-5-6 = 4" forks, 5" forks or 6" forks...
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    njee20 wrote:

4-5-6 = 4" forks, 5" forks or 6" forks...

Yes, I realise that but if you want 120mm or under I'd still go for the standard Inbred & save some weight. The 456 is great if you want to adjust the travel on your forks or swap forks. I wouldn't buy the steel 456 if you don't intend to run longer forks and jump off lots of stuff. The carbon one however is lighter, so I might do...
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • thans for that guys..i think i might get me one of those inbreds..